EP upgrade help for F4.7 scope please!

hey guys

really sorry to repeat my query across 2 sections, but for some reason nobody seems to want to reply in the 'getting started equipment help and advice' section? (thanks again skipper billy for yours!)

it's probably my fault, i do go on a bit ;) and no doubt trying too hard to make my post fun to read...so i'll try being more direct & see if i'm any luckier here - if not then i guess i'll go ahead with my own choice for better or worse!

ok so i know that sub F5 scopes are tough on eyepieces - and i'd like to improve on the EPs supplied with my Skyliner 250PX.

i've been reading every post i can find on the subject here, but you know how it is, i'd still really value some direct opinion from the people who know!

here's what i do know:

• i'm not ready to jump straight to the top end of the market just yet, so £100 or so per EP would be good. ideally less than, but a bit more if it'll make a difference (and i know i'm limiting myself but i'd rather buy new than 2nd hand)

• i don't wear glasses, but my eyes are far from great these days (working long hours on a mac is taking it's toll) so glasses are a possibility in the near future - so might be wise to plan for that with suitable eye relief.

• i'd like to start off with maybe 3 covering low/med/high power.

with this in mind and from what i can gather, Celestron X-Cel LX might be a good place to start? (although i know others like BST Starguiders, Maxvisions etc have a great rep too)

so this is what i'm looking at unless someone can jump in and suggest better alternatives.

for instance would i see a reasonable difference in something like SW Nirvanas, or equivalent in the £150-ish price range?

sorry again for repeating myself, but any help really would be welcome :)

thanks!

rich

http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Eyepieces/Maxvision-68-Okular-28mm.html

have a look at this range i have this EP and i use it in my 14" SW FLEXI TUBE F4.5 Dob and i find it handles the coma extraordinary well considering the price! these are the same as the meade SWAN's for the price i have no complaints and im really fussy on coma! hth oh and stay away from the SW panaviews there like mush around the edge!

Danny

http://www.explorescientific.co.uk/en/Eyepieces/Maxvision-68-Okular-28mm.html

have a look at this range i have this EP and i use it in my 14" SW FLEXI TUBE F4.5 Dob and i find it handles the coma extraordinary well considering the price! these are the same as the meade SWAN's for the price i have no complaints and im really fussy on coma! hth oh and stay away from the SW panaviews there like mush around the edge!

Danny

hey danny thanks for the advice! i've been looking at those maxvisions as a possibility. am i right in thinking they don't go down to the shorter focal lengths though?

i don't have a barlow at the mo, and have read that it might be better to use prime EPs rather than barlow anyway? if so then i guess i'm still looking for a good high power.

re: the SW panaview, yep i've read a lot about that too. a wide field choice for my scope is another thing that's got me stumped at the mo...

thanks!

rich

For mid focal EP, I'd like to think that Baader Classic Ortho 18mm is among the best in your budget, unless the wider FOV is your first priority. Optically the BCO 18mm is about as good as EPs cost many times more, the eye relief is good for spec-wearers, and I've heard people use it in f4.7 dob without degradations.

I'd consider televue plossls for powers up to 15mm , maybe 11mm but depends on how much eye relief you can work with. Then consider something else for a higher power . I wouldn't rule out second completely as most folks in this game take great care with the gear they own.

You could look at televue radians for the high powers , I've not read a bad comment on them .

For mid focal EP, I'd like to think that Baader Classic Ortho 18mm is among the best in your budget, unless the wider FOV is your first priority. Optically the BCO 18mm is about as good as EPs cost many times more, the eye relief is good for spec-wearers, and I've heard people use it in f4.7 dob without degradations.

actually i hadn't considered BCOs so thanks for that, will take a look. i guess i'm just being a bit lazy in looking for a brand that will give me a complete set. i may have a re-think!

thanks, rich 

I'd consider televue plossls for powers up to 15mm , maybe 11mm but depends on how much eye relief you can work with. Then consider something else for a higher power . I wouldn't rule out second completely as most folks in this game take great care with the gear they own.

You could look at televue radians for the high powers , I've not read a bad comment on them .

hey rory, yep i can see it makes good sense to look 2nd hand for televues, and i've no doubt at all that people take great care of their eyepieces too! a good eyepiece seems to be something to treasure.

i think i'm just itching to replace what i've got and hoping to find something off the shelf rather than wait, and hunt round for a bargain.

my problem is i always set myself a budget, and then spend twice as much...so was trying to find a decent mid range option before you guys started tempting me into TVs!

i'm too easily swayed ;) 

thanks for taking the time to talk a bit of sense to this impatient newcomer!

rich

An SGL member had a full set of ES 82o EPs with an f4.7 'scope, the review is here. They're just over the £100 mark but well worth considering, if you were hoping for a wider FOV.

Cheers

hey bingevader thanks for the link, i hadn't seen that one! really interesting read.

hmm…so if i were going to spend £150+ per EP, then the ES 82º might be a really good option!

guess the lesson here is to have a word with myself, and invest in just one good EP for starters instead of trying to cover everything in one go?

thanks again

rich

id 2nd the ES82's i have the 18mm and its lovely, super sharp pretty much to the edge and contrast boosting views. one of the best EP's ive owned

thanks daniel, on the strength of what you say and the review bingevader mentioned, i'm seriously thinking now about just buying 1 (maybe 2!) ES82s instead of getting more, but cheaper EPs.

you've been really helpful, it's much appreciated.

rich

Hi, I've the same scope, and bought a TS Optics plossl eyepiece kit which helped me understand what I wanted: Filters, 2x barlow, a range of mags, nice 15mm WA ep. The case is great itself! This did me for a year. However, I've slowly invested in a TV Pan 24mm, Powermate 2.5x, Nagler 13T6 then a 7T6. I have no regrets and have come to the conclusion that cheaper eps is false economy in long run - this hobby is worse than running a car for sinking money ;) The wide field is great for the manual dob. One other thing is I recently got a Baader Maxbright binoviewer - 2.5x glass path corrector: amazing on moon and Jupiter with the cheapest RK eps! Saving for upgrades now. I get all my gear shipped from Telescope Service - top notch support and website. Best of luck!!

Hi, I've the same scope, and bought a TS Optics plossl eyepiece kit which helped me understand what I wanted: Filters, 2x barlow, a range of mags, nice 15mm WA ep. The case is great itself! This did me for a year. However, I've slowly invested in a TV Pan 24mm, Powermate 2.5x, Nagler 13T6 then a 7T6. I have no regrets and have come to the conclusion that cheaper eps is false economy in long run - this hobby is worse than running a car for sinking money ;) The wide field is great for the manual dob. One other thing is I recently got a Baader Maxbright binoviewer - 2.5x glass path corrector: amazing on moon and Jupiter with the cheapest RK eps! Saving for upgrades now. I get all my gear shipped from Telescope Service - top notch support and website. Best of luck!!

hey thanks for the great input - i shouldn't have needed to ask really, but after reading through the responses i've had tonight it's obvious that you're totally right - going for cheaper is false economy...

i know what you mean about the money though! i've only just bought my first scope and ended up with one twice as big and twice as expensive as i'd planned to...

but hey i'm allowed to spend some on myself right? my girlfriend can't have it all can she ;)

think i'm about to follow some more of the good advice i've had tonight and get a couple of Explore Scientific 82ºs. 

thanks again, really appreciate it.

rich

I've spent about 3 months researching different eyepieces for the 120mm f/5 I'm buying soon and after changing my mind time after time I've decide against the televue range at the moment and gone with the celestron xcel lx's

Archived