Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Mr Q

Important Things a Beginner Should NOT do ?

Sorry Mr Q forgot to comment on your quote.  But yes there is no hurry.  I've seen some beginners asking for lists.  It isn't a race and it isn't trainspotting.  "

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare. No time to stand beneath the boughs And stare as long as sheep or cows. No time to see, when woods we pass, Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass. No time to see, in broad daylight, Streams full of stars, like skies at night. No time to turn at Beauty's glance, And watch her feet, how they can dance. No time to wait till her mouth can Enrich that smile her eyes began. A poor life this if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.   William Henry Davies
  • Like 3

Don't get frustrated you can't find anything, instead get a red dot finder they are far more logical and easier to use.

If (when) your telescope or eyepiece dews over, don't wipe the glass with your handkerchief, instead invest in a 12V hair dryer - which leads to another dont. And if plugged into the car lighter socket, don't run it for too long as it might deaden your car battery (nearly happened to me once). 

If you have a dog, don't go walking round the back yard without checking for err..deposits first!

At least I had my shoes on !!! :D

• Like 1

ps:  Don't understand the fridge thing???  I just shout "wife tea" or "wife beer"  :grin:

If I did this it would quickly be ex-wife.  :eek:

• Like 1

Sorry Mr Q forgot to comment on your quote.  But yes there is no hurry.  I've seen some beginners asking for lists.  It isn't a race and it isn't trainspotting.  "

What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare. No time to stand beneath the boughs And stare as long as sheep or cows. No time to see, when woods we pass, Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass. No time to see, in broad daylight, Streams full of stars, like skies at night. No time to turn at Beauty's glance, And watch her feet, how they can dance. No time to wait till her mouth can Enrich that smile her eyes began. A poor life this if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.   William Henry Davies

How true that is about some beginners! When I feel they just have to "jump in the water fully clothed", I  give them this list and hope it does'nt backfire :grin:

http://www.deepskywatch.com/files/dso-guide/DSO-guide-7000-const-mag.pdf

And yes, NEVER open that fridge unless it has one of those dark room red bulbs in it :laugh:

Also, the beginner is warned to NOT believe his/her first views of DSOs (deep space objects) will be like those in published photos - unless they have special permission to be at the controls of the Hubble telescope :eek:

Edited by Mr Q

If you are going for a long session, make sure you have enough Jaffa Cakes ;)

• Like 3

Do not under any circumstances attach any kind of photographic equipment to your scope, whether that be a smartphone, digital camera or otherwise.

Failure to observe this basic precaution may invite a "wallet singularity" to form.  While considered rare in most circumstances there is strong evidence to suggest that the likely hood of occurrence increases exponentially for those who express a strong desire to "perform astrophotography" or purchase the paraphernalia of astrophotography , and subsequently act out those desires. Even casual usage of said paraphernalia may lead to "wallet singularity" formation. 

Once formed, the "wallet singularity" will compel those afflicted to purchase ever more astrophotography equipment, thus draining more and more funds over time. 

One of the most disturbing aspects of this phenomenon is that as the singularity grows in size, the magnitude and frequency of its sub space distortions increase. These are known to cause confusion in those affected. Such that one can "loose touch" with the true expenditure or "gloss over" the true price of a purchase. To the afflicted the purchase of a £6000 Takahashi apo may appear to be a perfectly logical next step. However that same person would reject a £90 shirt because it was "too expensive".

There is of yet, no known cure.

You have been warned!

Mark

• Like 9

Don't observe the Sun without a proper filter of the type that fits over the OTA. This type of filter not only protects your eye but keeps OTA parts from heating, especially the EPs. And when used, make sure it can't be blown off in the wind.

Don't start an observing session without some kind of plan. Before you go out you should have decided if this is a night for photographing Jupiter, drawing the moon's terminator, or hunting some deep sky object. Decide that first and have a plan of how to find it and your chance of finding what you want is a lot higher, don't decide it and you'll be struggling to star hop and consult maps in the dark(*).

( * though that might not be an issue for the moon)

Avoid Aperture Fever by getting to know and use the scope that you have rather than spending all your cloudy nights looking for your next, bigget scope.  And don't buy lots of extras as soon as you get your scope.  Wait until you have used what comes with it.

Never let your wife see you in your 'warm' astro clothes plus headtorch.

ever.

This is the truth.

Since taking up the hobby I've been wearing a red hat with a head torch attached. My girlfriend now delights in calling me Wilf whenever she sees me wearing my astro gear....

post-34187-0-70263300-1391140250.jpg

• Like 2

Mars being No1 in the disappointment scale, in my opinion.

Cheers Roy

RoysSkies,

What is disappointing about Mars?  I stayed up late last night and saw it for the first time (through binoculars).  I thought it was rather nifty; there was nothing disappointing.

- Kainushi 

RoysSkies,

What is disappointing about Mars?  I stayed up late last night and saw it for the first time (through binoculars).  I thought it was rather nifty; there was nothing disappointing.

- Kainushi 

Yeah Mars is great.  Lovely colour and tone variation.  Friendly little fellow.  Kainushi you should be ashamed of yourself  :grin:  :grin:  :grin: 

Seriously I think Mars has a mystical aire about it.  Of course that may just be deep down I can still see the Martians launching their rockets in the greatest sci-fi story ever :cool:  

• Like 2

Seriously I think Mars has a mystical aire about it. Of course that may just be deep down I can still see the Martians launching their rockets in the greatest sci-fi story ever :cool:

Where's the KABOOM? There was meant to be a earth-shattering KABOOM!

Kainushi sincere apologies.  I read that post the wrong way round.   It is Roy who should be ashamed of himself.  

I'm geting into deep water here.  I'll go set up my scope  :cool:

• Like 1

Mars can be a tricky customer. It needs high power and good seeing, but the detail can be amazing when it is good.

Kainushi sincere apologies.  I read that post the wrong way round.   It is Roy who should be ashamed of himself.  

I'm geting into deep water here.  I'll go set up my scope  :cool:

Nigele2,

No problem!  :-)

- Kainushi

At the right time with the right conditions mars can be really nice with ice caps and "vegetation". At the wrong time its small with not much going on.

i hwvent seen it this year so not sure if its good or bad at the moment.

cheers.

• Like 1

Mars eh? Divide and conquer!

I saw him this morning first time in about 2 months. I was up early for work and let the dog into the garden and looked up to see Mars plain as day. I thought it must still be rather small because there was some twinkling evident!

Then I had to calm down the night shift that I was relieving at work. Excited to the point of being concerned by the "bright star over there". He accepted it was only Venus and went home to bed.

So there is my advice to beginners: Don't be dazzled by Venus!