Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Advanced VX mount

Rudeviewer

Hi all

So, at last, I'm setting up the AVX :) Um, I have a question regarding computer control. I've installed Nexremote. As I understand it, I can interface either via the hand controller or (preferably) direct to the mount. Presumably, I can just plug the serial-to-usb cable into H.C. socket?

Thanks

Louise

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All

I plugged the usb-serial cable into the H.C. socket on the mount but can't seem to connect to the mount :( I've tried setting up the Ascom Celestron driver and that can't see it either :( The hand controller appears to work fine and my PC sees the cable (Prolific) and com port. It's a brand new cable I got from FLO at the same time as the mount.

Is there something obvious that I've missed to get it to work?

Thanks

Louise

Hi

I have a strong suspicion that FLO have actually sent me the wrong cable!! I just noticed that the serial part of the two-part cable had 'Synscan' on the polythene bag it was in. I reckon it should have said Celestron or Nexstar. Tut!

Anyone know if I can convert it (pinouts?) by resoldering the connections?

Thanks

Louise

Hi

Thanks. Mine is a flat cable with all pins connected at the RJ end. Obviously all mount serial cables are the same at the DB9 end... I found a Synscan pinout ref on here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/48523-synscan-hand-controller-pinouts/ My DB9 end doesn't look undoable.

They are different - unsurprisingly! I'm thinking to try the 'Celestron' one on my heq5. If it works then it must be the SW cable and FLO owe me a replacement!
Edit: it's a different connector on my heq5 so can't test it on there. Oh well. Perhaps, to be safe, I'll just get in touch with FLO on Monday. I'm fed up with it now anyway.

for

Cheers

Louise

Edit:

ps the link you posted appears to be for the hand controller socket / firmware programming socket, not the main mount socket?

Can anyone tell me - rather than using the all star polar alignment routine on the vx, can you fit a polar scope and polar align it the "old fashioned" way, if you want really accurate PA for long exposure astro imaging?

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Adrian

I just bought this one from First Light Optics

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-mounts/celestron-polar-axis-scope.html

Select the CG5/AVX one prior to placing your order

I've used the ASA on the AVX and it worked but getting a good rough polar alignment first will help getting on the alignment stars.

Regards

David

Hi

Thanks. Mine is a flat cable with all pins connected at the RJ end. Obviously all mount serial cables are the same at the DB9 end... I found a Synscan pinout ref on here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/48523-synscan-hand-controller-pinouts/ My DB9 end doesn't look undoable.

They are different - unsurprisingly! I'm thinking to try the 'Celestron' one on my heq5. If it works then it must be the SW cable and FLO owe me a replacement!

Edit: it's a different connector on my heq5 so can't test it on there. Oh well. Perhaps, to be safe, I'll just get in touch with FLO on Monday. I'm fed up with it now anyway.

for

Cheers

Louise

Edit:

ps the link you posted appears to be for the hand controller socket / firmware programming socket, not the main mount socket?

I bought my hand controller cable from FLO too and initially got the wrong one - I don't think it was their fault if I remember correctly - just drop them a line and they'll swap it out for you

NexRemote works great with the AVX - I especially liked the onscreen hand controller clone - quite cool :-)

Have a look here for my first use of it 

David

I bought my hand controller cable from FLO too and initially got the wrong one - I don't think it was their fault if I remember correctly - just drop them a line and they'll swap it out for you

NexRemote works great with the AVX - I especially liked the onscreen hand controller clone - quite cool :-)

David

Hi

Yeah, they were sending a replacement on Monday. Hopefully it will come soon... I've been using the programming cable which works fine but is just too short. I've skipped using Nexremote/hand controller - using Astrotortilla instead :)

Louise

Hi

Yeah, they were sending a replacement on Monday. Hopefully it will come soon... I've been using the programming cable which works fine but is just too short. I've skipped using Nexremote/hand controller - using Astrotortilla instead :)

Louise

The thing I liked about NexRemote is it gave me access to all of the hand controller's other functions specific to the AVX mount

I haven't tried Astrotortilla - does it give you this access?

Thanks

David

The thing I liked about NexRemote is it gave me access to all of the hand controller's other functions specific to the AVX mount

I haven't tried Astrotortilla - does it give you this access?

Thanks

David

Hi David

No - I use Stellarium, APT and Astrotortilla, plus PHD2 guiding once I've sorted out a guidescope setup :) These don't require Nexremote or the hand controller. Astrotortilla gives you local plate solving so you can select a target and re-slew to it to within a chosen precision. No need for star alignment - just PA, which I do independently of the hand controller. I realise this 'wastes' the hand controller functionality but I don't need it really - the controller just enables me to connect a PC. I have essentially the same setup on my Heq5, plus Eqmod.

Louise

Hi David

No - I use Stellarium, APT and Astrotortilla, plus PHD2 guiding once I've sorted out a guidescope setup :) These don't require Nexremote or the hand controller. Astrotortilla gives you local plate solving so you can select a target and re-slew to it to within a chosen precision. No need for star alignment - just PA, which I do independently of the hand controller. I realise this 'wastes' the hand controller functionality but I don't need it really - the controller just enables me to connect a PC. I have essentially the same setup on my Heq5, plus Eqmod.

Louise

Excellent - I've heard of this plate solving - a friend of mine swear by it - he images unguided for up to 30min - but his mount costs more than my car LOL

The only time I use any kind of pc/mount control is when I'm solar imaging to "jog" the target back into view from my pc in the house - so I rarely use NexRemote/EQMod etc

When I'm deepsky imaging I do a single star alignment near the target and I'm set

Good luck with your AVX - I use mine at Kelling mostly - nice and light for travelling :-)

David

Hi David

Plate solving is great! It doesn't of itself affect or improve tracking, it just lets you select a target and slew to it. It only takes 4-10secs to locate and centre a target chosen via Stellarium. I'm stuck in a second-floor flat so my mounts/scope are set up in my living room! I can watch tv on the couch and image at the same time :) I actually got the avx to take outside - one day! I don't have a battery for it yet or a guiding system - or a laptop! I don't have a car either so can't travel with it :( Anyway, at the moment I just have the 1100d and lens on it. But I was pleased to get 60s subs unguided on it and at 300mm  http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/224769-first-light-with-avx-but/?hl=%2Bfirst+%2Blight+%2Bwith+%2Bavx#entry2420256. I'm going to rig up a guide scope with it when I get the time. I've had it in mind to get an Evostar ED80 but the costs of doing everything I'd like to are spiralling...

Cheers

Louise

Hi David

Plate solving is great! It doesn't of itself affect or improve tracking, 

I get that :-) I wasn't clear - he has to plate solve to set up the model for the mount computer - that's what I was highlighting

David

I get that :-) I wasn't clear - he has to plate solve to set up the model for the mount computer - that's what I was highlighting

David

Hi David

I don't quite understand why anyone would bother with model building when plate solving is available? Maybe I'm missing something...

Louise

I had the AVX out last night with my ED80. All went well until the ASPA when you get to unsync (errors  of 2 and 3 minutes at this point) - the first alignment star was fine but it would not let me do the second one. It told me eventually that I had 0 errors which I found hard to believe and some images showed stars with odd shapes. I will try the method that Kirscovich suggested by powering down after the ASPA and starting from scratch. I use a reticule eyepiece so that should help.

Peter

Hi Louise, not sure if its in the same place as the CGEM http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=2677

Also , has anyone checked the current draw on the AVX, it seems to be up to 5 amps if you google it but I've just metered mine and it sits at about 0.5 to 0.7A while tracking and never got above 1.1A while slewing even when both motors run together .

Hi Louise, not sure if its in the same place as the CGEM http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=2677

Also , has anyone checked the current draw on the AVX, it seems to be up to 5 amps if you google it but I've just metered mine and it sits at about 0.5 to 0.7A while tracking and never got above 1.1A while slewing even when both motors run together .

Hi Knobby

I've no  idea! I've seen that cgem link  but  there's no reference to a battery in any of the AVX documents or on the Celestron support site. It could be that it doesn't have one - it could have a high capacity capacitor instead. I won't worry about it for now - I was just curious really. 

Yeah, I don't imagine it draws much current most of the time. I've hardly had a chance to make use of it yet what with the Glasgow clouds :( I've sent off my 1100d for full-spectrum modding and hope to get it back around the middle of next week. I'm aiming to end up with two imaging rigs :)

Cheers

Louise

I had the AVX out again last night and tried the method Kirscovich suggested. I did two alignments followed by two ASPA alignments and it said that I had zero errors. I took a 2 min sub of Andromeda and this was the result - the stars look pretty good to me for a 2 min unguided sub so I think that the alignment was pretty good.

Peter :laugh: 

post-35423-0-03806000-1411385901_thumb.j

Archived