Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Advanced VX mount

Rudeviewer

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi again

Just wondered how long your 7Ah powertank charge usually lasts? I'll have to sort out some battery power for the VX but don't really have a feel for it.

Thanks lots

Louise

Well it is still powering ok when I have had enough which is usually about 2-2.5 hours. It runs the mount only as I connect the dew shield heater to a mains source and run the laptop on battery power. 

Peter

Louise, I purchased a Tracer 14Ah from FLO for the GoTo Dob, is had around 9 hours running time that's a bit of slewing but tracking is 24/7, the little green lights on the charge indicator are all still alight, the battery is about the size and weight of a bag of Sugar 1kg size, come complete with leads and charger........

Louise, I purchased a Tracer 14Ah from FLO for the GoTo Dob, is had around 9 hours running time that's a bit of slewing but tracking is 24/7, the little green lights on the charge indicator are all still alight, the battery is about the size and weight of a bag of Sugar 1kg size, come complete with leads and charger........

Hi Tinker

Thanks but erm... they seem to be way more expensive than I'm prepared to pay! It might be heavier but I can get a 12Ah mobility scooter ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002USO09W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=14N4DS3NYXQUW&coliid=I375SWHLRUPLO8 ) or similar battery for less than £25...

Thanks anyway

Louise

Hi Tinker

Thanks but erm... they seem to be way more expensive than I'm prepared to pay! It might be heavier but I can get a 12Ah mobility scooter ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002USO09W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=14N4DS3NYXQUW&coliid=I375SWHLRUPLO8 ) or similar battery for less than £25...

Thanks anyway

Louise

I think there more suited to a Dob in a field but its your money and your choice, my field is the Garden and its getting 24" X 24" slabs in various places....:)

Congrats on the inbound VX Louise. I think they are a really good mount. I also worried over power, so when at home it sits on the external 12V power supply, and I am in the process of building a power box to take out with me. It is based on a Stanley tool chest (so has wheels etc), and in the base has a 75Ah leisure battery. I will be changing the standard cigar lighter sockets over to XLR connectors. Still not finished yet though....just the soldering up to do now, and then get a proper charger.

Good luck with the mount when it arrives. when you see it for the first time you think 'my god'...thats huge! 

Regards

Congrats on the inbound VX Louise. I think they are a really good mount. I also worried over power, so when at home it sits on the external 12V power supply, and I am in the process of building a power box to take out with me. It is based on a Stanley tool chest (so has wheels etc), and in the base has a 75Ah leisure battery. I will be changing the standard cigar lighter sockets over to XLR connectors. Still not finished yet though....just the soldering up to do now, and then get a proper charger.

Good luck with the mount when it arrives. when you see it for the first time you think 'my god'...thats huge! 

Regards

Hi Steve

Thanks! Well I have an heq5 at the moment though it doesn't have 2" tripod legs! Actually, it sits on a pedestal now :). I live in a flat so to use the VX outside I'll need a battery of some sort - but nothing too heavy!

Louise

I've had my AVX for about 6 weeks now and I could not be more pleased. I purchased it on sale, $719. here in the U.S. and put the savings toward aquiring an orian SSAG so I can autoguide. With the new kit curse I've been clouded out most of the past six weeks but in the limited time I've had I think I made the right choice. I used the funds from selling my 300p Dob to make the purchase so I am left with a 127mm NexStar and 90mm F11 refractor. I observe from a small backyard observatory so I am able to power the mount with a dedicated 12volt 15amp power converter. Louise, I hope it meets your needs as well as it met mine.

Grey

I've had my AVX for about 6 weeks now and I could not be more pleased. I purchased it on sale, $719. here in the U.S. and put the savings toward aquiring an orian SSAG so I can autoguide. With the new kit curse I've been clouded out most of the past six weeks but in the limited time I've had I think I made the right choice. I used the funds from selling my 300p Dob to make the purchase so I am left with a 127mm NexStar and 90mm F11 refractor. I observe from a small backyard observatory so I am able to power the mount with a dedicated 12volt 15amp power converter. Louise, I hope it meets your needs as well as it met mine.

Grey

Hi Grey

That was a cheap buy! It's cost me a lot more over here in the UK :( I'm planning to just use it with a camera+lens initially so will be trying it without autoguiding. Later I might add an autoguider and a frac. The total costs start to rise exponentially and I'm relatively poor... I'll use it indoors to start with so can use a mains psu for that. But I want to get outside if there's ever sufficient clear skies to make it worth the effort!

Louise

Edit: I see it's on amazon.com for a mere $719!!! http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Advanced-VX-Computerized-Mount/dp/B00AYGIQDS/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Hi All

Um, any reason why I shouldn't use a standard 5A 12V mains PSU to power the AVX? I assume the AVX is centre positive? The PSU 2.1mm plug seems to be compatible in terms of fit.

Just thought I'd check - don't want to blow it up before I even get to try it out!

Thanks

Louise

Thanks Tinker

I thought centre-positive would be ok. It always makes me insecure when companies state that using anything other than there brand power supplies invalidates the warranty! Mind you, Celestron don't appear to offer a basic mains psu unit.

Anyway, will give it a go tomorrow :)

Louise

Hiya

Ok - I've seen that adapter lead. However, I've bought a 5A 12V mains adapter similar to the one I use with the Heq5 and with a 2.1mm plug. Should be ok... Not actually tried it yet. It just doesn't have the screw-on bit but otherwise should fit ok.

Cheers

Louise

• 2 weeks later...

Louise, I am in the market for either an HEQ5 or an AVX so I would be really interested to see how you get on. As you have had both mounts it will be interesting to see how you compare them. Currently I'm leaning towards the HEQ5 because I hear it has better bearings in Dec axis and possibly sturdier for imaging....but perhaps you can let us know!

Rob

Hi Robert

I'd say they are both sturdy mounts and both good for their price bracket. I'm only going to be using the AVX with a dslr for the time being so not much of a comparison really. I can say it won't need upgrade altitude bolts like the Skywatchers do and the altitude and azimuth adjustment mechanisms are better engineered on the AVX.  I don't know when I might get the chance to use either - what with all the clouds :(

Louise

Rob,

You are more tun welcome to come down and have a look at my AVX at some point if you want. you are only up the road from me. I have been using mine with an Edge800  (though have also just purchased a WO Star 71 to throw at it) and starting to mess around with imaging. I am quite impressed by the mount, though could not compare it to an HEQ5. 

Either that or you can meet up with some of the Essex Cloud Dodgers when we head out to the other side of Chelmsford one evening.

Regards

Hi all

I actually powered mine up for the first time today - only had it 2 weeks, lol

It's very noisy when it slews... :( Noisier than my heq5 syntrek. Oh well, looking forward to trying it out properly.

Hurry up clear skies! Some reasonable clear spells will do!

Louise

Seem to remember seeing a max slew speed setting somewhere ... Dropped to 8 I think and it's much quieter

Rob,

You are more tun welcome to come down and have a look at my AVX at some point if you want. you are only up the road from me. I have been using mine with an Edge800  (though have also just purchased a WO Star 71 to throw at it) and starting to mess around with imaging. I am quite impressed by the mount, though could not compare it to an HEQ5. 

Either that or you can meet up with some of the Essex Cloud Dodgers when we head out to the other side of Chelmsford one evening.

Regards

Thanks for the offer Steve, I'll PM you.

Archived