Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Advanced VX mount

Rudeviewer

Thanks Tinker1947. That's pretty big :eek:

I don't have an observatory so would have to set that all of the time which is not really an option. Having then read additional posts even with mains power you still can get insufficient power issues.

Surely it can't be this difficult... :huh:

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Louise, i did use a Netgear 12v 5 amp PSU it run my NEQ6 on a 30' lead but always had the power led on the mount flickering, getting the extra 1.8 volts from the Maplin stopped the flickering LED and did improve the GoTo so it never slewed wildly out of  place as happened from time to time with the Netgear...

Hi Tinker

Maybe it was the 30' lead causing a voltage drop? In this case the OP just wants to check his AVX independently from his power tank so there doesn't seem any real need for a relatively expensive mains supply.

Louise

My Mains PSU was use from a safe dry room via a 30' to the garden the voltage drop on the Netgear was certainly not helping, the Maplin unit did cure that its output 13.8v showed 13.6 on the handset when run on the 30' lead.. there is the other difference a switch mode to a standard transformer type, but i don't have any info on the difference like voltage drop with a load ect...

My Mains PSU was use from a safe dry room via a 30' to the garden the voltage drop on the Netgear was certainly not helping, the Maplin unit did cure that its output 13.8v showed 13.6 on the handset when run on the 30' lead.. there is the other difference a switch mode to a standard transformer type, but i don't have any info on the difference like voltage drop with a load ect...

Hi

I'm not recommending the cheap 5A PSU's for general use. I only use them to power just my Heq5 and AVX indoors, Outside, you probably want either something beefier to supply all the various astro power needs from the mains or a high capacity battery/power tank. But, as I said, just to use as a quick check against a power tank, the cheap PSU should be ok.

Also, unfortunately, the AVX handset doesn't seem to monitor mount voltage so a digital voltmeter is the only way to check as far as I can see.

Louise

Really getting to dislike my AVX mount even with Starsense attached. SS seems to work fine, I then choose a calibration star and it isn't even in the field of view (scope is a Celestron C8 XLT) with a Baadar Hyperion 24mm (68 deg fov). I then calibrate the scope to the star, do a realignment and low and behold the scope misses the calibrated star in exactly the same place as it was before calibration. I've tried using the keypad to centre the calibration star and then choosing the calibration option. I've tried hitting calibration and then used the keypad to move the scope. I've tried adjusting the RA and Dec bolts to centre the calibration star. All with no improvement. I've got so frustrated with it all now that the mount is gathering dust and I'm using an EQ 3-2 with an RA motor and achieving far more accurate placing of targets in the ep than I ever have with the AVX mount.

The scope/mount seems to have been doomed from the start; it all started with getting a C8 on fleabay which was a complete dud so I eventually corrected that with another C8. My first AVX mount then had to go back to the suppliers under guarantee as it wouldn't power up so I was given a replacement mount. I couldn't get that to align well so went the starsense route and I've still got a set up which, as far as I'm concerned, is unusable.

Urrrgggghhhhh!

Have you performed the initial alignment of the ss to the scope? You do not use the bolts at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Got my AVX and c925 set up last night and after alignment found I had the issue with the Dec clutch hitting the housing and coming loose, leading to the mount not slewing. Just adjusted the clutch. Now have to wait for some good weather!

Hi guys,

Got my AVX and c925 set up last night and after alignment found I had the issue with the Dec clutch hitting the housing and coming loose, leading to the mount not slewing. Just adjusted the clutch. Now have to wait for some good weather!

Hi guys,

Had a similar issue with mine a few months back.  Is easy to overcome by removing the screw that holds the lever in place, rotating by 90 degrees and then screwing back on.

Since doing mine, it has been fine, but feel they may need doing again in teh near future as they are looking like they are getting close to fouling again.

• 2 weeks later...

Only arrived the other day, but I guess it got first light off the dining room light bulb when I took it out the box ;)

It's a lovely looking mount with easy adjustments, plus I like the chunky tripod and counter weight bar :) the only thing I don't like so far is how stiff the dec axis is! Maybe it will loosen with time?

Hoping to get it up and running over the weekend! Excited ++ :)

I've had mine for 1 month and haven't had a clear weekend yet!!

Hello all, I am new to the site but joined because of this thread lol. I got my avx on Monday and am only using my canon 5d mk2 with the 70-200 f2.8 and a 1.4x extender at this time. Just curious about the psu issue, the mount came with the 12v lighter adapter and I did buy the power tank as well. I also purchased the celestron a/c adapter so am curious why people are not just using that to power the mount? The cloud phenomenon is funny, it was relatively clear Monday so I got play a bit but been cloudy ever since. Great thread on the mount btw.

Well...last nights imaging did not start as planned.

Was settign up AVX on pier (not yet got suitable cover to leave it perm mounted) and when I went to screw in teh power connector, it just span round and round. 

Having the covers off and looking inside could see that it was completely loose as  lose thing and that in the turning the two solder tabs inside had shorted together...along with the -ve wire having sheared off.

Quick outbreak of sodlering iron and super glue and all was fitted back together and working.

Will need to keep an eye on it for now but problem will go away once I get a cover.

Thought it was worth mentioning here incase others have a similar issue.

Have you performed the initial alignment of the ss to the scope? You do not use the bolts at all.

Yep, the good news is that the starsense performs beautifully on my 6se and that I got the AVX mount working quite well doing it the alignment in the traditional way using a different scope. I wonder if I'm just being a bit picky as the C8 is a little over 2000 mm and so requires that bit more accuracy......but then how do people manage with even longer fl scopes like the C9.25, C11 and 14?

Yes I've noticed mine spinning around last night as I was packing away. I had clutch problems with the levers hitting the housing last week too. Really poor quality control for what is a relatively expensive mount.

Yeah the clutch issue is a royal PITA.

Very easy to resolve, though we should not be doing this on something that casts as much as this does.

Yeah the clutch issue is a royal PITA.

Very easy to resolve, though we should not be doing this on something that casts as much as this does.

Not saying that this is the issue you were having as you clearly had to re-solder something :shocked: However if you get weirdness in slewing or random movements of any type then it is highly likely to be a power related issue.

I had odd slews some time ago and even a point where I instructed the mount to go to the home and it pointed up vertically and jammed against the mount! No damaged was done fortunately.

I found that the lights on my power tank did not display the charging levels very well. Or more to the point I was not charging the Power Tank sufficiently each time.

So I left it on charge over a night and noticed that the lights were then displayed at the correct level. Bit embarrassing as this went on for a few months and I thought the mount was knackered.

Just thought it was worth mentioning. Basically I perform a full charge after every time I use it (17A Skywatcher Power Tank)

Not had the clutch issue myself, its close to the housing but it never touches.

When the mount operates as expected it works very well and overall I am impressed with it for the cost of it. The ASPA is very good. I was guiding perfectly for two hours the other night, though I have no doubt gremlins and cold reality will come back to me at some point...

If you have faulty mount then understandably you opinions will be less forgiving.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I really need help with this mount. I cant seem to get accurate alignment, and when i do it tends to lose track of whatever i am guiding to.

My routine is as follows and please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

1. Level the Tripod

2. Alight Peg to the TRUE south (I live in Southern Hemisphere).

3. Mount Top Head and Scope.

4. Start Star Alignmenet, add two starts and 4 Calibration Stars.

5. Slew to Canopus and do Polar Alignment. Normaly when i slew to Canopus its never in the centre after doing 2/4 Star Alignmnet so centre it after selecting Polar Align.

6. Park Scope and repeat the Star Alignment and Polar Alignment 4 to 5 times over.

When i start guiding with PHD the mount starts guiding correctly and after around 20/30min it just goes of track. I have attached a graph from PHD to show this.

post-39914-0-99713300-1430308961_thumb.j

Hi Jackal

Your guiding looks pretty good to me! You might like to get the latest version of PHD2. Also, PHD2 has an easy to use drift alignment tool. I use Astrotortilla for gotos. Mostly your guiding looks to be within 1 pixel. It might be wind or balance that's thrown it off a bit. You could try longer exposure times and auto DEC guiding.

Louise

Hi Jackal

Your guiding looks pretty good to me! You might like to get the latest version of PHD2. Also, PHD2 has an easy to use drift alignment tool. I use Astrotortilla for gotos. Mostly your guiding looks to be within 1 pixel. It might be wind or balance that's thrown it off a bit. You could try longer exposure times and auto DEC guiding.

Louise

Hi Louise

Please can you explain how drift alignment works? I couldn't find anything online on how to use it and the things i did find were 5-7 page books. I would love to do drift alignment with either phd or backyardeos.

Hi

PHD2 gives you the error - you have to select arcseconds in the graph settings. That's assuming you've entered the guide scope data in the Advanced Setup :)

Louise

You confusing me now Louise :/ What do you mean enter the guide scope data in the advanced scope?

I have attached to show how my image looked when i started guiding and how it looked at the end. The lighter image was 260seconds and the darker image 60seconds. 

post-39914-0-95390300-1430312813_thumb.j

post-39914-0-42492900-1430312819_thumb.j

Archived