Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Advanced VX mount

Rudeviewer

Anyone able to spearhead this one?

The online pdf manual here: http://www.celestron-nexstar.de/advanced_VX-Manual-F.pdf

mentions the following models and I can't help but wonder what the differences are.

"VX Series Telescopes
Instruction Manual
For Models:
91519, 32054, 32062, 22020. 12079, 12026, 12047, 12067, 12031"

This ought to be interesting.

Always thankful and running up to the attic now...

Check ya later! and Clear Skies!

John

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone able to spearhead this one?

The online pdf manual here: http://www.celestron-nexstar.de/advanced_VX-Manual-F.pdf

mentions the following models and I can't help but wonder what the differences are.

"VX Series Telescopes

Instruction Manual

For Models:

91519, 32054, 32062, 22020. 12079, 12026, 12047, 12067, 12031"

This ought to be interesting.

Always thankful and running up to the attic now...

Check ya later! and Clear Skies!

John

Hi

I think it's just the various combinations of scopes and Advanced VX mount including mount on its own.

Louise

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, i was wondering if you guys can give me some thoughts on whether the AVX can handle a skywatcher 200pds, plus canon 700d, t-ring and coma corrector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its a bit overweight for AP, however that being said my setup is overweight as well, and I manage to get some pretty good guided images with almost the same setup.  Just make sure you have a real good balance to start with and make sure to polar align it a few times so get it correct. 

Astro Photography has good and bad kit, one of the things that would swing it for me would be does it run EQMod.....the mount i know nothing about.....

Genuine question ... What would EQMOD bring to the party from an AP POV that can't be handled by the AVX ?

Astro Photography has good and bad kit, one of the things that would swing it for me would be does it run EQMod.....the mount i know nothing about.....

The AVX comes with a Nexstar+ hand controller which allows you to do most things. It has a real-time clock and battery back up. I think the battery is placed within the mount. I run mine from a laptop via a usb-serial cable which plugs into the hand controller.  I use Stellarium/Stellarium Scope, PHD2, APT, and Astrotortilla in exactly the same way as with the heq5. I'm not sure how well the AVX (or an heq5) would handle a 200pds but should be doable. I bought my AVX standalone and only got 1 x 5kg counterweight with it. I'm sure others here can give their experienced opinions on mount suitability for a 200pds. You can access user guides for the mounts online (pdf).

Louise

The AVX comes with a Nexstar+ hand controller which allows you to do most things. It has a real-time clock and battery back up. I think the battery is placed within the mount. I run mine from a laptop via a usb-serial cable which plugs into the hand controller.  I use Stellarium/Stellarium Scope, PHD2, APT, and Astrotortilla in exactly the same way as with the heq5. I'm not sure how well the AVX (or an heq5) would handle a 200pds but should be doable. I bought my AVX standalone and only got 1 x 5kg counterweight with it. I'm sure others here can give their experienced opinions on mount suitability for a 200pds. You can access user guides for the mounts online (pdf).

Louise

Same here, although I use Nebulosity. No need for EQmod. Payload is reputedly around 13.5kg, so roughly 7-8kg for AP.

There is advice that your astro imaging set up should be around half the weight capacity of the mount.

It appears to be good advice as it's often quoted - as above

However, I regularly exceeded this guide by a large margin in the past on a number of different mounts and got great results.

I've used the AVX above this limit and it worked great - by my standards I hasten to add - others may have higher standards :-)

In the past I imaged on a Synscan EQ-5 and with a 200mm newtonian and guide scope that exceeded the guide above too - the AVX is a sturdier and better mount so I think it would do a good job.

But - as always - if you can afford an NEQ-6 or better - buy it LOL!

David

There is advice that your astro imaging set up should be around half the weight capacity of the mount.

It appears to be good advice as it's often quoted - as above

However, I regularly exceeded this guide by a large margin in the past on a number of different mounts and got great results.

I've used the AVX above this limit and it worked great - by my standards I hasten to add - others may have higher standards :-)

In the past I imaged on a Synscan EQ-5 and with a 200mm newtonian and guide scope that exceeded the guide above too - the AVX is a sturdier and better mount so I think it would do a good job.

Lol as ever the best rule is keep adding the weight until you have problems!

But - as always - if you can afford an NEQ-6 or better - buy it LOL!

David

Now had did I manage to do that? My post within someone else's quote.

Meant to say the best rule is to keep adding the weight until you run into problems. As long as your sensible you're not going to break anything :)

• 1 month later...

I've had a bit of a battle trying to decide between the AVX and the iOptron ZEQ25. Finally decided on the AVX, thought it might handle my C8 a bit better.

AVX plus ADM saddle ordered today :)

And? First light?!

Hmm.... what is first light for a mount?! :-)

And? First light?!

Hmm.... what is first light for a mount?! :-)

Only arrived the other day, but I guess it got first light off the dining room light bulb when I took it out the box ;)

It's a lovely looking mount with easy adjustments, plus I like the chunky tripod and counter weight bar :) the only thing I don't like so far is how stiff the dec axis is! Maybe it will loosen with time?

Hoping to get it up and running over the weekend! Excited ++ :)

Only arrived the other day, but I guess it got first light off the dining room light bulb when I took it out the box ;)

It's a lovely looking mount with easy adjustments, plus I like the chunky tripod and counter weight bar :) the only thing I don't like so far is how stiff the dec axis is! Maybe it will loosen with time?

Hoping to get it up and running over the weekend! Excited ++ :)

I spun mine around for ages and it smoothed out a bit, still stiffish but consistent and not jerky

FYI

I had an issue the other night with the Dec lever. I have reported before that I had to re-position it because it was hitting the motor housing - the other night it came loose and did it again. I think that the screw works it's way loose after a while so it's best to check that the screw is tight occasionally.

Peter

Archived