SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron Advanced VX mount

Rudeviewer

Hi

Right, first make sure you have the latest version of PHD2 (currently 2.5.0, I think). In the advanced setup (brain) it has the option of entering the focal length of your guide scope under the Global tab. There is also data to enter about your guide cam in the Camera tab. PHD2 uses the data to calculate the arcsecs/pixel of your guide scope and camera.

You just select 'drift align' under tools in the main screen. It basically prompts you to first do your azimuth by pointing the mount south, close to the meridian and letting a selected star drift. You watch the DEC line and adjust azimuth until your PA error reaches a satisfactory value (it shows the error over time and as you adjust). You should be able to get it to less than an arcminute. Then you move the scope so it points east or west, close to the horizon. Repeat drift for altitude adjustment, again monitoring DEC line. Simples! Of course, the procedure is explained in detail in the Help -> Tools and Utilities :)

Hope that helps

Louise

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Right, first make sure you have the latest version of PHD2 (currently 2.5.0, I think). In the advanced setup (brain) it has the option of entering the focal length of your guide scope under the Global tab. There is also data to enter about your guide cam in the Camera tab. PHD2 uses the data to calculate the arcsecs/pixel of your guide scope and camera.

You just select 'drift align' under tools in the main screen. It basically prompts you to first do your azimuth by pointing the mount south, close to the meridian and letting a selected star drift. You watch the DEC line and adjust azimuth until your PA error reaches a satisfactory value (it shows the error over time and as you adjust). You should be able to get it to less than an arcminute. Then you move the scope so it points east or west, close to the horizon. Repeat drift for altitude adjustment, again monitoring DEC line. Simples! Of course, the procedure is explained in detail in the Help -> Tools and Utilities :)

Hope that helps

Louise

Hi Louise.

I wish there was a youtube video explaining this as I cant seem to get my head around it.

• 5 months later...

I have a 28lb 10" SCT being used on this mount just recently. Even with legs extended, it is solid. 

I have a heck of a time trying to hold the scope in the saddle and tightening the bolts at the same time. Anyone have a good technique?

I have a 28lb 10" SCT being used on this mount just recently. Even with legs extended, it is solid. 

I have a heck of a time trying to hold the scope in the saddle and tightening the bolts at the same time. Anyone have a good technique?

I think I once saw a post from an SGL member (Brantuk?) who suggested putting a tall stool next to the tripod - put the scope on the stool - swing the mount around to connect it to the dovetail while the scope is on the stool

That was for a newtonian - not sure if it would work with the shorter sct but it was a fantastic solution when I used it with my 10" newt

David

With my newt which is only a little lighter I follow a similar procedure but place the rings on themount securing them and then bringing the stool and the scope to the mount. If I am out and bout in the field I do basically the same but keep the tube in the car and carry it to the mount with the rings opened up wards placing the scope into the cradle created by the rings and then secure the scope to the mount by tightening the rings. My kids have a laugh at dad and his big black oil drum of a scope being transported like a baby into its cot.

Geoff

• 3 months later...

Can anyone tell me - rather than using the all star polar alignment routine on the vx, can you fit a polar scope and polar align it the "old fashioned" way, if you want really accurate PA for long exposure astro imaging?

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can first a polariscope to the AVX.

I find tho' that it is rather low down (I'm 6' 2" and the end of th polar cops (lat 55.5) is about waist level and I find it very difficult to bend down to it.

There is a solution that I have ordered - a bracket to mount my iPhone to an eye piece. I plan to try that with Camera+ on the iPhone and my iPad. I should be ale to see the view from the phone on the tablet.

Will update once I have had an opportunity to try it.

• 1 month later...

Just to update, that, the universal mount for the eyepeice/iPhone that I ordered was not as successful as I hoped.

The minimum diameter of the adapter was just a little more than the polariscope diameter.

I've a different type on order - it seems to be helical adjustment and claims minimum dia of 15mm

• 3 months later...

Is there anyone who uses the mount below 20degree latitude?  I need some help on how to avoid the counter weights of the AVX mount hit the tripod legs. Does anyone know how to set it St this latitude? 

Varad 

• 11 months later...

Hello stargazers! :)

I recently purchased an Advanced VX mount too, and I have a question that's been on my mind for a while.

I still haven't got the chance to power it up and have a first light session with the new setup yet, but, before I do, I need to "do my homework" right. I'll use an ED80 f/7.5 mainly, for unguided imaging, either at native focal, or @0.8x reduced.

So, as I understand, this mount has ~25" of PE, with the capability to reduce it to around half that value by use of PEC, which, after a well done training it becomes a "permanent" one - that is, it stays in the memory, even after powering off the mount (and ON again, followed by a proper alignment routine) until the user chooses to overwrite it with a new set of correction values in a new PEC training session. At least that's what the Celestron reply said. And we're all happy with that.

However, the second part of the reply left me "meditating" for a while. I also asked if the PEC will hold as soon as the RA clutch is released, and manually reposition the mount's body for some reason (not the worm, where the position index is! ok? :) we couldn't, anyway, since it has no "slo-mo"s), either because you ran out of battery and need to park it and put it in its case, or whatever reason.  The reason I asked about this is because I've seen some reports that said it would. And apparently, the official answer was that, indeed, the mount would lose the RA worm's position index if the clutch that holds the mount body to the RA gear (not the worm, again) is released.

So, naturally, my question is now: WHY on Earth...?

If no direct physical connection is between the two, how could one influence the other? Only the worm's rotation causes the gear to revolve, not the other way around, right? At least that's how I learned in Mechanics - or perhaps meanwhile the books have been rewritten.. For me this makes so little sense, as I cannot imagine the effect of not moving a part/piece in the outcome of that part's set of data. Unless you intentionally move something from its place, it shouldn't produce the slightest change in the experimental data of a circular pattern of movement..  or am I on the wrong track?

Any feedback from AVX users who experimented more and have some insights on this issue is more than welcome.

Thanks and

Clear skies to you all!

:)

I was lead to believe that PEC was not retained by the AVX after powering off? The latest Celestron CGX mount however does retain PEC.
From my experience I have found PEC to make little difference though of course some people have reported it has helped.

I would recommend leaving PEC out of the equation for the moment or at least until you have a had few succesful nights out with the new mount. Best to get to know the intricacies of your mount with regards to balancing and alignment before heading done the route of PEC.

You may also find guiding far more benefical than relying on PEC for your imaging needs.

No guiding, thanks :)

I choose to go with PEC exactly because I do not like all the hassle with guiding - you know what I'm talking about: guide cam, guide scope, guide soft, guide wires (wires! wires everywhere), laptop (battery issues), extra weight, flexure... Guiding means extra payload, extra costs, a car to move everything around. No, no..  I mean yeah, but NO, thanks! :) 

Talking strictly PEC here. Good old-fashioned unguided PEC exposures.

I wouldn't even think of taking one shot with the untrained mount. I've been down that road with other mounts, not coming back.

If the PEC wouldn't hold after powering the mount back on, why would they even bother calling it "permanent"? :)  The other thing though...  smells like fish from a mile away.  Imho at least.

Just now, Droogie 2001 said:

I am sure you will need to play the PEC each time you power on the mount. 

Yes :) that is the point exactly. Tracking aided by PEC, all night long :) every night.

But still, that part with the index magically disappearing when you flip a switch that has no connection with PEC is a mystery to me..

Although I asked the Celestron team to enlighten me in this, I'm still waiting for their reply.. And probably I can keep waiting, seasons will change, and the answer will still not come. We'll see.

• 1 month later...

All,

Loving this thread, it has 'almost' convinced me to switch my plans from upgrading my NexStar 130SLT to a HEQ5 Pro with the 130SLt Tube to the AVX Mount with the 130SLT tube.

My question to the educated is...... with the 130SLT tube upon this mount, what level of quality tracking will this enable, and would this improve my first decent foray in deep sky imaging.

Thanks

Speng.

I took the 130SLT To AVX route.

must admit it was not long before I replaced the OTA, mainly because of the focusser

The OTA, though, is way with in the capabilities and 10m exposures easily done

Archived