Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

just starting

wes1

hi ya guys i am just starting and really interested in space and astronomy.......what got me started was the big red stars and there mass and size, which was a few months ago now...and now i really want a scope and need as much help as i can get lol .... thanks guys

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always useful to have an idea of location better then England, could be Penzance, Norwich, Brighton or Berwick and the few places that are between.

By "red stars" is this the M and K class stars, carbon stars or (presumably) the ones that are in a pre nova state and thrown off the outer layers. As you see there are options within the term "red".

The eyes show them, if visible, as a red dot. Before you run off a scope will also show them as a red dot. May you will have a brighter red but still a red dot. You are not going to be counting sunspots on Aldebaren.

One good way to "locate" them is to stand a camera on a tripod and take a 20 maybe 25 second exposure at ISO 1600 or 3200. The colours can stand out nicely. Someone posted an image that had started to trail and the colours really did become apparent then. So odd thought it seems allowing a small amount of trailing may help.

Easier still is stand outside at a dark(ish) place and look. Piece of acvice for this:- take something to write down where they were seen.

Seem to have lost the link to the Carbon Stars, they are red but not easy.

Archived