Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep24_banner.thumb.jpg.56e65b9c9549c15ed3f06e146fc5f5f1.jpg

ArmyAirForce

Stellarium Shadows Problem v0.12.0 to v0.12.4

I had been running Stellarium v0.12.0 on my Win 7 laptop without any problems. Recently, I had to replace the hard drive, so I upgraded to Stellarium v0.12.4, but it would no longer show the shadows of Jupiters moons, despite checking the right box. I tried v0.12.2 and that had the same problem, so switched back to v0.12.0. Now the shadows work when I check the box for them, and the configuration file shows TRUE for shadows, and settings were saved before the program was closed.

All is well until I close the program and re-open it, the shadows have gone and I have to re-check the box to bring them back. They work fine when the box has been rechecked, but why won't it save this setting, and why can't I get the new versions to show shadows at all?

Have you tried the "Save Settings button" in the Configuration window....

Yes, and it saves the settings to the config file as I mentioned in my first post, but on re-start, the shadows have gone, and the box is unchecked in the menu.

I was about to ask the same as Tinker, just to double check, but he beat me to it.

That is very odd !

How many Stellariums have you got on your system ? Is one version writing its config file into the wrong folder/directory maybe?

If you make any another change, for example turn Nebula ( or is it DSO now? sorry I'm sill on v11) on (or off as the case may be), does it save and remember that ?

Edited by Ptarmigan

Only one version at a time. Config file deleted between installs. Other changes and settings are saved, such as starting position, location etc.

Config file deleted between installs. Other changes and settings are saved

Hmmm, that seems watertight !

It may be a question for the Stellarium forum then.

Later :

There is a portable v12.4 which I am playing with now and you're right I cant see shadows in it.

- - That isnt necessarily diagnostic on my Vista cos I may have introduced finger troubles this end never having looked for shadows before (didnt know the latest v was supposed to do them !! ) thanks for the heads-up ;)

Sorry I could not help.

Edited by Ptarmigan

The shadow feature is very useful for imaging, especially for predicting double and triple shadow transits.

If you have intel GPU only then you don't see shadows because this GPU doesn't support some OpenGL features, which Stellarium wants.

Отправлено с моего A500 через Tapatalk

Well, I see shadows on version 0.12.0, but from version 0.12.1, 0.12.2 and 0.12.4, I don't.

Well, I see shadows on version 0.12.0, but from version 0.12.1, 0.12.2 and 0.12.4, I don't.

Could be a bug worth reporting ? , Did you check the log in the help about dialog, there may be a hint of an error there.  OpenGL shader issue that perhaps forces recompile on rechecking the box, but fails somehow with an error, but still works once done for the session. Wild stabs in the dark I know. :smiley:

Edited by AlexB67