Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi all

Gareque

Hey everyone,

I am looking at getting back into astronomy after about a 15 year hiatus...  Not really had much chance since I was in school and, having a mate (also on the site) constantly posting images, it's inspired me to get back into it once more.

I don't have a telescope yet, I'm currently looking at options for possible purchase in March, though the Sky Watcher Explorer 200p seems to be the winning contender at current!

Any advice/comparisons worth checking out would be much appreciated :).

Gareque

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gareque and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us before you parted with any cash. There's lots of things to consider when buying your scope and there's knowledgeable folks on here that will love nothing more than helping you spend your ££'s!!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hello Gareque,

I got my first telescope a year and a half ago.  Like you, I was not completely new to astronomy.  After some study on this forum, and on the suppliers websites, I got a 200p.  As you are considering one, here are my opinions.

I think it is an excellent 'beginners' scope, and excellent too as you get more experienced. You get a lot of aperture for your money.  It is quite capable of seeing the 'faint fuzzies'.  If possible, go and see one first.  I like the equatorial mount, but some folk prefer the 'Dob' mount.  You will get different opinions.  I have not spent much money on it afterwards - the supplied low power eyepiece is not at all bad to start with, although the high power one is not well thought of. A couple of BST (sometimes called 'starguider')  eyepieces have improved things. I personally don't like the supplied finder scope much, and prefer a Telrad. 

Good luck.

Archived