Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TS Optics 6" Telescope.

Hi

I'm trying to find out whether this scope on ebay is worth having as a starter scope

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TS-Optics-6-Telescope-150-750-EQ3-1-with-moonfilter-ideal-for-beginners-1507-/370608271691?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item5649f9714b

its relative quality compared to others of a similar spec and also whether it would be any good for astrophotography if I were to match it with a sturdier mount?

Thanks for your time peeps.

I do not have any direct experience of the TS reflector, but I would have thought that it should of be a reasonable quality given TS reputation. I would however be wary of the EQ3-1 mount. It will be very wobbly. It is possible to pick up a SW 150P on a EQ3-2 second hand for similar or less money and some would argue that the EQ3-2 is too light a mount for the 150P. I did not not have a problem with it when I started out, but like most things you do grow beyond it in time. It would also be easier to buy from within the UK if there were any problem that arose. Have a look on UKABS.

Ian

I can recommend the guys at TS in Germany, that's where I got my GSO 200 from and they were really helpful and the price excellent. There is a 150 GSO F5 which also looks nice, with a dual speed focuser, not sure what mount options that could come with. 

I think for astro you're going to be too limited on two fronts.

One, while the tube is probably great, the focuser is a single speed and doesn't look like a 2" draw-tube, which means things like coma correctors won't fit (and it may not give enough back-focus if photography wasn't in the design).

Two, the mount, too wobbly for putting a camera on, although you could dabble at planets and add an RA motor it will never be sturdy enough for proper work. 

Tube wise, an F5 of that style with a 2" crayford would set you up nicely. However when it comes to mounts there is no cheap way really. You might get something out of an EQ5 but ideally you want HEQ5 pro or better.

This is better - 2" crayford

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p26_GSO-150mm-F5-Newtonian-Telescope-OTA-2--Crayford-focuser.html

and they do a dual speed for a bit more. A similar tube available from the UK is the 150PDS

you'd want to find an EQ5 or better HEQ5 pro and of course the mount is a large part of the cost unfortunately, but it's something that assuming you get the right one for the purpose may last you through a range of tubes and equipment...

I'd be inclined to buy from the UK - plenty of choice. And as suggested buying used is a good idea when starting out. This is the link for ABS which a lot of us use on this site.

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

You can pick up some good stuff and something like this would be very good i think - if you don't mind getting used.

U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell

Good luck what ever you get.

andrew

I don't think that scope looks too impressive to be honest with you:

- The mount and tripod looks too flimsy to support the tube, even for visual observing, much more so for any type of imaging. It's closer to a Skywatcher EQ2 than the claimed EQ3.

- There is no mention of the scope having a parabolic primary mirror in this advert or anywhere else I've seen the scope listed. My usual rule of thumb on this with cheaper brands is that if it's not mentioned, they don't have it. For an F/5 newtonian scope having a parabolic mirror (thats it's shape) is very important to get good images.

- The focuser is 1.25" only so no option to use 2" eyepieces for wider fields of view in due course.

- The TS main website don't list that model any more. They do list another one with the same spec and looks as the Seben "Big Boss" and it looks identical to the picture on the e.bay item, which is odd. Seben "Big Boss" scopes are best avoided.

- The 3 secondary supports will cause 6 diffraction spikes around stars - a 4 support design is much better as you only get 4 spikes (for optical reasons I won't go into here)

Far more reasons to avoid this than buy it for me I'm afraid, despite the generally decent name that the TS brand has got. 

Far better options for £190 or so around too as are being listed by other posters.

I'd avoid simply because the mount is useless. So really you need to compare it to what you could get for the same price as an OTA. Basically however good the scope is you would be paying a premium for them to include a sub standard mount.

Archived