Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi everyone

seezed

I'm very much a newbie to astronomy and have yet to buy a scope. I live in Dorset and hope if anyone lives in the same area they would be able to pass on a few good sites to observe from. I would love to get into astrophotography and have a dslr but know I'm going to need a sturdy mount to work with. Anyway, I look forward to it all and all the advice and knowledge I will undoubtedly benefit from by being here. Cheers

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. +1 for the comprehensive guide called, "Making Every Photon Count" which is essential reading if imaging is your goal. It's not so much that a sturdy mount is required, more that it is an accurate motorised mount that can track precisely the movements of Deep Sky Objects (DSO's) for long enough to capture the required 'data' to make the final processed composite image. DSO's are so far away and as a consequence very faint so hence the amount of time needed to image them but solar system objects (moon & planets) can be captured from very modest kit using a simple webcaam, from which the best video 'frames' are selected to construct the final composite image. Pretty good results can be had with the help of some free processing software that can be found on the internet, so imaging itself doesn't have to be expensive it just depends on what your target is. If you pop some questions over on the imaging sections, the members there will soon have you up and running with some suggestions. 

Clear skies for now and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Archived