Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

starlight xpress mx7c or stick to dslr

assouptro

mx7c is a very old CCD model, with analog output converted via a kit to USB 1.1.

It has a low resolution of 752 x 582 pixels .

But nevertheless tho, it was an excellent high quality camera at the time and it can still be a very nice starter CCD camera for beginners (it's a one shot color) if you can pick it up for bargain.

Thanks guys

My dslr is converted, I was using a 350d but have just converted a 450 and am considering converting a 40d would it prove better than these?

Its only advantage then is that it is cooled (but not temperature controlled as far as I know). Personally I would hang out for something a bit more up-market.

ChrisH

Hi,

Just of curiosity - why MX7c? It's a very old model and I'm sure you can find newer second-hand CCD's e.g. SXV M9C, Atik 314L and so on. I'm very sure those will please you much more! Just remember to mach the pixel size with your optical setup.

Actually, I own a MX7C, but I will replace it soon. It has a very small sensor which is ok for imaging distant galaxies, as I do. It's pixels are not square which I find quite annoying. Also, I always had problems with debayering - for some reason there's a lot of noise in the colours, in particular for the blue colour. Otherwise it's a nice camera.

Regards,

Thommy

Last year I bought a old secondhand SXV-H9 to complement my OSC CCD and I use them together on a dual imaging rig.  I generally use the H9 for Ha imaging and it makes a nice complement to the OSC images.

I'd agree with the other posters and keep an eye out for a slightly larger CCD camera - examples of the 314 and H9 do appear to come up for sale regularly on the secondhand as folks upgrade to the latest and greatest, which is good for the rest of us as there's plenty of life left in these kind of cameras.

Hi Thommy

It wasn't that I chose the MX7c in particular over any other, just that I spotted one for sale at what looked like a good price.

I would prefer a larger chip as I have been used to the dslr size but I am itching to try something new and frustrate myself more with complications and steep learning curves that this hobby heaps on you by the bucket!

Hi r3i

Thanks for the advice I keep looking for a 314 or h9 but haven't seen any up for grabs recently, guess I need to keep my eyes peeled, should be easy at the moment as I'm not distracted by clear skies and it'll be full moon by the time we get any here.

Thanks again for responding to me query

Bryan

Thommy

Just a question

"Match your pixel size to your optical set up"

Is there a formula for this?

Regards

Bryan

Hi,

You can use this formula to calculate it.

Sampling in arcseconds = (206.265 / (focal length in mm) )* (pixel size in microns)

You want to be somewhere between 1.25 and 3.5 as a lot also depends on  your  sky and seeing conditions. 

Regards,

A.G

Hi,

You can use this formula to calculate it.

Sampling in arcseconds = (206.265 / (focal length in mm) )* (pixel size in microns)

You want to be somewhere between 1.25 and 3.5 as a lot also depends on  your  sky and seeing conditions. 

Regards,

A.G

Am I right in thinking that if it's over-sampled (ratio below 1.25) then dropping the resolution in an image editing tool is a good solution?

Thanks

Nico

Archived