Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Luna 100 Visable Reference Guide and Moon Filters

Fozzie

Hi all, apologies if this is an old question, I've had a good sift through but couldn't really find a thread on it..

It occurred to me the other day that the although i'm intent on viewing deep sky, there is something that every month gets in the way of really tracking down some of the fainter ones, especially if I mix it with the fact I can't get out to any dark sites, relative to my light polluted garden.

Viewing the moon is, I think, more forgiving than deep sky in these situations and as such I downloaded a moon map, the list of 100 objects and following on the luna 100-200 list compiled by Doc, which has a handy visual guide to the descriptions.

Does any body know of a handy visual guide for the first 100.. it would be nice to check that i'd found the right bit of the lunascape!

Secondly, through a 8" newt, its bright.... eyeball burning bright when full...  I've got an ostara skyglow/moon filter, but im not sure it makes too much difference..

I'm looking at the Baader ND but I not it comes with different levels, can any one advise, or pictorially demonstrate, so I can make an informed choice..?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have any filters, but I use a standard moon filter, skywatcher brand.  I don't find it too problematic viewing in my 10" 120x to 240x magnification.

As for illustrated lists, Sky and Telescope were publishing a labelled moon card here.  I'm not sure about uk suppliers.

http://www.shopatsky.com/product/Lunar-100-Card-Plastic/maps-and-globes

For my part, I use a laptop and Virtual Moon Atlas.  I also have a copy of Moon, Mars and Venus, which is helpful when I don't have my computer.  There are also printable moon atlases if you search.

Tried the ol' Google method and that list is exactly the one I printed out to work through, along with the luna map, depicting small numbers over the surface for location marks of the 100 objects..  Problem is... if you take number 8 as an example what does "Crater sequence illustrating stages of degradation"

or say number 57 "Conspicuous swirl and magnetic anomaly" actually look like if you've never seen them before..

Anyway good news, my generic android device has produced a USGS map of all these items... I'll let you know how I get on with it, it lets you zoom in and navigate around, even orientates to a Newtonian or diagonal view...

Andy, id considered magnification... hence the order of a ES84 4.7mm.... :grin: 

You will soon get used to these terms for example the crater degredation one means a series of craters that must have formed one after the other as each one has, in some way, damaged the one(s) that were already there.  The "perfectly formed" crater must be the youngest.

It may be worth having a look at a site about lunar geology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_the_Moon  -  This is a good page, very detailed though

For me, I did a quick google search on things I wasn't sure about - there is lots of information out there.  Also, the beginning of several lunar atlases have some details about lunar geology - again, Moon, Mars and Venus is great for this.

As for your questions, lunar crater degredation is as a result of further impacts upon the surface of a crater, or the effect of lunar volcanism.  The level of degradation gives an indication of the age of a crater.  Crater sequence illustrating stages of degradation would indicate a series of craters, each of different age, with the oldest showing the greatest degradation by further impacts, etc.

As for swirls, I understand that this is variation in the albedo (i.e. reflectance of different substances reflected in it's brightness) caused by magnetic forces shaping the then molten lava, but I'm no expert.  (A quick search on google shows this to be generally right!)

If you google Lunar 100 several sites come up - this one has a list and small map.  I would download the Virtual Lunar Atlas for details.  Oops - the link:  http://www.spacegazer.com/Documents/Astronomy%20Projects/Lunar_100_sheets.pdf

Virtual Moon Atlas http://ap-i.net/avl/en/download

I wrote an excel spreadsheet for the lunar 100, with longitude, latitude, best day

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/183156-lunar-100-list-by-chuck-wood/

I also have one for the lunar 100-200 list as well, which is on here somewhere!

I use astroplanner to record my observations, and I uploaded a user contributed plan for each as well.

Archived