Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A couple more from my camera and lens - M81/82 and M31

Eddy_

Took these last night with my camera on the sophisticated mount of a gorillapod mini tripod on my patio table. A step up from the litte tikes car I used for my Orion nebula shot :)

Still deciding on an EQ mount, looking forward to longer exposure times! These were both about 50 shots, 75mm f1.8, 3s exposures, plus darks and bias in similar numbers.

post-6556-0-24169500-1390822048_thumb.jp

post-6556-0-97017400-1390822054.jpg

Thinking wow and you found the right direction to point at.

I can't see anything of use on the screen I would have to take a picture look at it to try to work out what the camera was pointing at move out and try again.

Yes I roughly pointed the camera in the right direction, took a high iso test shot and moved around until I found what I was looking for on the test shots.

Thinking wow and you found the right direction to point at.

I can't see anything of use on the screen I would have to take a picture look at it to try to work out what the camera was pointing at move out and try again.

A red-dot finder bodged into the camera's flash hotshoe helps.  I am trying to make a proper bracket so i can use my 6x30 finderscope.

What did you do to attach the red dot finder to the hotshoe?

I am planning to make something by mating a standard finder bracket to one of these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Camera-Pro-1-4-20-Tripod-Mount-Screw-to-Flash-Hot-Shoe-Adapter-Black-UK-/350699954537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51a758a169) probably using epoxy glue if it works.

The quick and nasty solution, if you don't want to use the finder for anything else, is to take a hacksaw and a file to a cheap red dot finder to cut the foot down until it slides into your flash hotshoe.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, just a test on distant buildings to make sure the finder and camera line up.  As the camera often ends up at an awkward angle I also have the option of using a right-angle finder.  The bolt does look a bit flexible, should be OK with the small finders, if I was going to use a 9x50 then I would have cut the bolt down first.  I also have to see how the glue holds up, an alternative would be to drill the finder shoe and use a nut to hold it on.  Considering the while project has cost me £1.49 so far (I already had a spare finder shoe) I don't mind experimenting.

hi Eddy - nice pics! I never thought it possible to get M81/82 with just a camera. Couldnt see from you post what camera you used - would be interested to know. And 75mm lens.... seems very short! I guess that's 75mm not taking inot account crop factor. Maybe not?

hi Eddy - nice pics! I never thought it possible to get M81/82 with just a camera. Couldnt see from you post what camera you used - would be interested to know. And 75mm lens.... seems very short! I guess that's 75mm not taking inot account crop factor. Maybe not?

Thanks. It's an Olympus Pen E-P5 (micro 4/3 format). It has a 2x crop factor, so equivalent field of view of 150mm with the 75mm lens. The galaxies were very small in the shot, the picture is basically a 100% crop from the stacked image.

Archived