Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

This dear.....? New dear.....?

Stu

.....No, I've had it for ages, don't you remember? :-)

Only joking of course, no way I could sneak this one past Mrs Maksutov. Selling the Mak has allowed me to finally get a big newt, and I do mean big!

Orion Optics 300mm f6 newt with, apparently a 1/12 pv primary. The secondary fitted is 50mm, giving a 16.7% central obstruction, 2.8% by area. This fully illuminates a 1.25" ep, there is also a 60mm which will cover a 2". Might look at a 57mm which I think may be an optimum balance between the two.

This was from ABS, and shipped down from Inverness, a slightly concerning prospect, but apart from one small breakage, all is intact. The mirror cell was shipped separately.

Annoyingly, one of the tensioning bolts which holds the secondary in place has broken so I will need a replacement before I can use the wee beastie. I'm hoping OO will have a spare, but any suggestions welcome.

I'll get it all sorted, then hopefully post up a first light, SN should be a little brighter in this I think :-)

Cheers,

Stu

post-6762-0-55925900-1390819303_thumb.jp

post-6762-0-49857600-1390819748_thumb.jp

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice Stu.

I was half tempted in this scope when I saw it on AB+S myself. How tall is the OTA from top to bottom?

Any thoughts on making a mask for it? I know apodizer masks are very well thought of for the planets.

One other thing Stu.....Any idea what it was mounted on by the previous owner?

I'm thinking of moving further out into the sticks in a couple years so going to build an obsy with a dedicated planetary scope and something like this would be top of the list, I'm just not sure what EQ mount could handle it?

Johns scope is a very nice all rounder but I don't think you'll get much better for planets than this one.......Gotta stop drooling!!!  :grin:

Hi Mike,<br />

<br />

Yes, had thought of a mask for it. I guess I might get around 120mm in if I'm lucky, should be pretty good 120mm f15 :-).<br />

<br />

Focal length is 1800mm, total tube length is 1710mm so it's going to be a challenge.<br />

<br />

Not sure about how it was mounted before, I believe on an EQ6 or similar. It has a dovetail fitted so in the first instance I'm going to try it on my AYODigi on a pedestal mount. Hopefully will be able to reach the eyepiece!<br />

<br />

Longer term, I think I'll put it on a dob mount, probably OO but not totally sure. I have an old SX250 which I will get round to repairing one day and potentially I could add spacers to that and share the same mount for it. Laurie61 has the same scope on an OO dob mount and seems happy with it.<br />

<br />

I had been looking out for an f5.3 if I'm honest, but this one looked very interesting so thought is give it a go. Typically that brand new one came up soon after I had committed but I would not have been quick enough on that one anyway.<br />

<br />

Looking forward to some cracking views, and learning about collimation properly although at f6 it will be gentler in lots of ways. I do have a paracorr but maybe won't need it in this scope?<br />

<br />

Stu

I think a dob mount will be sensible unless you have somewhere permanent to keep it. The tube length is roughly the same as my 16" f/4.5 so you should be fine for viewing height, if you like being seated when observing then a Catsperch Pro is a great solution.

Don't think you will need a Paracorr but if you can get enough inward travel then some binoviewers would be very nice for the planets.

Hope it isn't too much trouble getting parts to fix it. 

Agreed on the dob mount, it just depends upon finances. Hopefully should be able to sort one soon.<br />

<br />

Cheers,<br />

<br />

Stu

Nice one Stu! I reckon this will provide excellent images and be a lot more usable than the Mak on more occasions.

I agree that a dob mount is the best option too. You could easily make one. If you need any tips then just ask. if you have the tools, you'd make one for <£100

Fantastic scope Stu  :smiley:

Mine is F/5.3 and has a slightly larger secondary. The dob mounts work really well and hold the scope very steady at even 400x.

Goodness knows how much an equatorial mount capable of handling these 6 foot + long tubes would cost !

Hi Mike,<br />

<br />

Yes, had thought of a mask for it. I guess I might get around 120mm in if I'm lucky, should be pretty good 120mm f15 :-).<br />

<br />

Focal length is 1800mm, total tube length is 1710mm so it's going to be a challenge.<br />

<br />

Not sure about how it was mounted before, I believe on an EQ6 or similar. It has a dovetail fitted so in the first instance I'm going to try it on my AYODigi on a pedestal mount. Hopefully will be able to reach the eyepiece!<br />

<br />

Longer term, I think I'll put it on a dob mount, probably OO but not totally sure. I have an old SX250 which I will get round to repairing one day and potentially I could add spacers to that and share the same mount for it. Laurie61 has the same scope on an OO dob mount and seems happy with it.<br />

<br />

I had been looking out for an f5.3 if I'm honest, but this one looked very interesting so thought is give it a go. Typically that brand new one came up soon after I had committed but I would not have been quick enough on that one anyway.<br />

<br />

Looking forward to some cracking views, and learning about collimation properly although at f6 it will be gentler in lots of ways. I do have a paracorr but maybe won't need it in this scope?<br />

<br />

Stu

Why HTML line-break?!! ;)

Thanks all.<br />

<br />

I know John, would need a fairly hefty mount to keep it stable! It's a long old tube and I'm sure a dob is the way to go.<br />

<br />

There is plenty I can do to improve it, but actually I just want to use it as is for a while and get some decent observing in. Time is not on my side currently with a new arrival on the way but I'm sure I'll sort it. I have this crazy notion of sitting outside observing with small person sleeping in a push chair next to me..... Pretty unlikely I know :-).<br />

<br />

Stu

Yes, I guess so.

Have managed a temporary fix on the spider, I had another one for a travel dob which I intend to make (probably after I retire in 25 years or so ;-) )

So, am pretty much sorted at least to give it a try at the next opportunity :-)

Stu

If you have not already managed to split Sirius, that scope will do the trick :smiley:

Yes, I hope so too John. I may have to start observing down the side of my house. That way I'm looking straight out over fields rather than over the houses. It's a bit more exposed to prying eyes and street lights, but probably worth it for Sirius and E & F in the trapezium. I managed E fleetingly with the 4" the other night which is a first.

Might also rig up some form of light shield between the house and the fence to improve things

Stu

Archived