Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

25/26mm Eyepiece and Filter Suggestions

Paulo83

I just got paid for the month so I am looking to add to my viewing accessory collection. The only eyepiece I need now is a 25 or 26mm one. I have been looking at the Celestron X-Cel LX 25mm and the BST Starguider, but having experienced a 2" barrel with the 32mm PanaView, I was thinking of going for the 26mm 2" PanaView. I am open to other suggestions, while also looking for approval from anybody who had used any of these eyepieces.

And that brings me on to my next need... I am also looking at adding a nebula filter to my collection. I'm not really sure which is the best type to get, but I was thinking if I did buy the 26mm PanaView, then getting a 2" nebula filter to use with my 26mm and 32mm eyepieces would be best? And while I am at it, any thoughts on a moon filter?

I know it's a lot to ask, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

May I ask why do you feel there is a gap between 18mm and 32mm? Is there some specific object you need to have the 48x mag to frame it? or you need to split some specific doubles with about 48x mag?

The reason I ask is, when I had the explorer 130P, I never felt need anyting between the 32mm(plössl as a finder EP) and 18mm. My guess is that a 5mm even 4mm EP can be of more use than a 25/26mm for your scope.

That's a very good question. For me personally, the answers would be that there are a multitude of objects to observe and conditions always vary, so it's about framing. I try and achieve the best magnification without loss of detail. Yep, there are times when you ramp it up to squeeze every ounce out of a specific region of an object. Like trying to resolve/split the numerous other stars around the Trapezium in M42. Mostly though, I just like to sit back and soak it all in, in all its majesty, as best I can.

I've no experience of it, but apparently the 26mm Panaview isn't as good as the 32mm. 26mm doesn't seem a great focal length for 2" EPs. I started a similar thread some time ago, which is why I went for the 18mm ES 82o. I've still ended up getting a 2" 24mm EP, because I was finding I was using the 25mm plossl on a 1.25" - 2" adapter and wondering why it wasn't quite fitting the bill between the other two! Weird maybe, guilty as charged!  :grin:

Horses for courses as in all things!

Cheers

I think the reason is because I have the supplied 25mm eyepiece which is pretty decent but I want to upgrade. I am new to the whole thing so just looking for advice more than anything.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

Ok, then there are a few questions to ask yourself, because they're actually half decent EPs! Is there any particular aspect of it that you are unhappy with, or object that you don't feel you are getting the most out of with it?

You could replace it like for like with another plossl like the Vixen NPLs or for twice the price a Televue plossl. You'd see a difference, but not blow you away, pop your socks off difference. People often keep hold of their plossls because of the simpler design and often (but not always) better light transmission than you get with the bigger more complicated multi-lens EPs.

You could go for greater field of view as in the BST Explorers (60o) or Maxvision (68o), or ultra wide like the 2" 82o Maxvisions. Obviously, the bigger you get the more they'll cost, especially if you're considering a 2" EP. But you haven't mentioned a budget so I'll stop there.

If you're not unhappy with it though, just stick with it!

Cheers

Sorry, my budget for the eyepiece would be around £80 I think. The supplied eyepiece is pretty good and I am quite happy to use it, it's just that the 2" SWA PanaView has whetted my appetite for another similar wide angle eyepiece.

Perhaps for the time being at least, I may stick with my current 25mm and upgrade at a later date. I have enough good eyepieces with the Starguiders and the 32" PanaView. Thanks for the advice anyway!

Any thoughts on nebula filters?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk

No problem, there's no hurry really.

On the filter front, you're looking at either a UHC or OIII. There're a few good threads around now on filters that would be well worth a read. The UHC is a broader band filter allowing a wider wavelength of light through than the OIII which is a single band filter. If you've no problems locating the objects you are looking for, then the OIII will give the greater contrast with darker backgrounds and no surrounding stars. If you're likely to need the neighbouring stars to navigate, then go for the UHC. Like the EPs, they vary in price. Alan at Skies the Limit also does them and I imagine they'd be of a similar quality to the rest of the items he sells. Castell also do reasonably priced filters that get reasonably good reviews as do the Skywatcher equivalent.

There's no substitute for dark skies however.

The panaview is reported to be capable, but not the greatest. Within your budget, I would suggest you have a look at the 24mm MaxVision 68deg, with largest possible FOV in 1.25" format. Awesome eyepiece for the money (near Tele-Vue Panoptic quality for a fraction of the cost). The 82 deg variant is also reported to be great (2" fitting), but is a bit above your budget, maybe. If you can stretch to it, there is a risk that you become addicted to 82 deg apparent FOV.

I went ahead and ordered the 24mm MaxVision 68deg for 79 Euros. The 82deg one was just too expensive. I also ordered a Castell UHC 1.25" filter as a cheaper alternative to a Baader one.

Looking forward to trying them out when they arrive.

Archived