I really do wonder about people sometimes...

JamesF

We're fortunate enough to live somewhere that is, locally at least, almost completely unafflicted by non-natural light.  During the winter this does make it a bit of a pain when my wife gets home from school with the kids and they need to get out of the car without losing stuff, so we have a couple of LED lights on IR sensors wired up to a switch in the utility room.  This seems to me a fair arrangement.

My wife has been redecorating the utility room over the last few weeks and her dad refitted all the light switches today.  I discovered between them that they have decided that it would be a good idea to just replace the switch for the outside lights with them wired permanently live so they'd come on any time, day or night, when the IR sensor was triggered.  They're hardly ignorant of the way I spend clear nights, but didn't even think to discuss the change with me.  I only found out when I realised one of the cats was triggering the light even though I'd switched it off.

I am, I have to say, somewhat dumbfounded.  I can think of so many ways that's such an incredibly stupid idea.  Yet not one appears to have occurred to either of them.

At least I found out before I switch the lights off and stuck my fingers in the cabling expecting it to be dead.

James

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're fortunate enough to live somewhere that is, locally at least, almost completely unafflicted by non-natural light.  During the winter this does make it a bit of a pain when my wife gets home from school with the kids and they need to get out of the car without losing stuff, so we have a couple of LED lights on IR sensors wired up to a switch in the utility room.  This seems to me a fair arrangement.

My wife has been redecorating the utility room over the last few weeks and her dad refitted all the light switches today.  I discovered between them that they have decided that it would be a good idea to just replace the switch for the outside lights with them wired permanently live so they'd come on any time, day or night, when the IR sensor was triggered.  They're hardly ignorant of the way I spend clear nights, but didn't even think to discuss the change with me.  I only found out when I realised one of the cats was triggering the light even though I'd switched it off.

I am, I have to say, somewhat dumbfounded.  I can think of so many ways that's such an incredibly stupid idea.  Yet not one appears to have occurred to either of them.

At least I found out before I switch the lights off and stuck my fingers in the cabling expecting it to be dead.

James

Hoo, boy, some peoples' kids!

I really do think you need to be talking to your wife about this instead of us :confused:

When you get your head bitten off after the first sentence you know there's no point taking things any further :(

James

When you get your head bitten off after the first sentence you know there's no point taking things any further :(

James

I can sympathize with you on this point, i normally order a Astro bit of kit and let here sign for it, makes me feel so much better.....

Duct tape over the sensors should do the trick.

We have an external low power light in the garden, I do similar, I put a little cardboard box (ex readybrek) over it's IR sensor when I'm out looking up, it works just fine, keeps the light off until I remove the box.

Rip all the wires and light units out .........

............and issue them all with head torches.

Sensible policy for a happier Britain

Mick

You just caller her indoors stupid ... :grin:

I'd thought that would be risky even in the privacy of your own marriage.

Doing it publicly is definitely grounds for divorce - unless that is part of your cunning plan (I guess it would solve your "light problem" as well :tongue: )

Good luck to you :rolleyes:

p.s. never ceases to amaze me how open people are on the interweb

Pray that she is not a secret member of the "Lounge!" Wives NEVER forget the slightest transgressions and as stated in the first of the two rules of marriage "they are never wrong."

Rule number two states that if they are wrong you must revert to rule number one.

Be pragmatic and loose the cats...

Brian Down Under.

I have one those automated outdoor lights by the side of the house, it was already there when we moved in. My solution is simple, since it is installed a separate circuit for outdoor lights with its own switch , it is set to the off position so it never comes on.  Only when we expect some arrivals in the dark, like a take away or something or expect visitors do we put it on temporarily.

I've banned external lights outside of my home and everyone has been issued their own head torch. Of course this has been mutually agreed as we feel strongly about excess light pollution.

James, you must be immensely frustrated. I would be, especially when I haven't been consulted and it's my money that's keeping the roof over the family's heads.

I really hope you can sort this one out; let us know the outcome, and I hope it's a good one.   :)

Pray that she is not a secret member of the "Lounge!" Wives NEVER forget the slightest transgressions and as stated in the first of the two rules of marriage "they are never wrong."

Rule number two states that if they are wrong you must revert to rule number one.

Be pragmatic and loose the cats...

Also her dad could be wondering just what you are doing out there all hours of the night!!!

Brian Down Under.

I am!  :angry5: 

Archived