Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How obvious visually is the SN in M82

Scooot

For various reasons (which I won't bore you with) tonight has been the first time I've managed to get the scope out since Christmas. I've been drooling reading about this SN in M82, as I've not seen one before. I know it's dimming, but is it possible that I could still have seen it tonight. 130 scope with 25mm eyepiece and reasonable skies, although I did have to cup the eyepiece with my hand because of a streetlight. Found 81 & 82 very easily and a definite bright spot in there. Still visible or am I seeing things?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snap swampstar. I actually wondered the same question through my mind as the o/p. I thought it was very obvious through my 130mm  at x43, so obvious I wondered if I was looking at the wrong thing  ?  but the sketches and photos seem to match position wise,so I guess I must have had a better sky than I imagined.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FINALLY managed to see it :happy7:

Believe it or not I've had about 5 or 6 goes over the past month but each time I've tried my observing session has been cut short due to the dismal conditions we've been getting. Even when the sky has been apparently clear, by the time I've set up and the C11 has cooled down, the clouds have rolled in and the rain has started. Same happened again tonight but this time I was determined to stick it out.

I managed to pick it out pretty clearly so it must have been really impressive last month...

Awe inspiring sight - so glad I caught it before it's gone forever!  

I also caught it for the first time last night :) I was going to use my 10 inch dob due to iffy forecast but ended up hauling out my 16 inch dob as I've got fed up waiting for a great clear night to be on the cards. The last date on the goto was December 29! :eek:  I got lucky with the weather as it turned out, a great night!

I'm so chuffed to have seen the SN, it was very easy to see in the 16 inch. I can hardly believe that this super nova is in another galaxy, Astonishing. :cool:

Archived