Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello fellow Dodgers

jimboliana

Hello everyone,

I'm the new boy in the class and pretty new to all this and have just bought a second hand 8" Meade LX200 GPS and just getting to grips with it in my back garden, just waiting for the clouds to [removed word] off! 

Anyway I'm in Chelmsford and the only problem so far that I have encountered is the Autostar II controller and trying to up-date it (it's on version 1.6b) I have all the leads and read loads of info on the net, downloaded the software and nothing connects

Tried StarPatch as well and it's still not connecting so I just wanted to ask if any fellow Dodgers have an Autostar II controller that they have successfully updated and if they have if they could help me out

Thank you

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Jimboliana,

Welcome!

Did you get your autostar II updated yet? As the guys mentioned the USB-Serial adaptor can cause all sorts of issues. I've successfully patched my Audiostar controller with a prolific adapter similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Adapter-Prolific-PL2303HX-Chipset/dp/B00425S1H8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390820744&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+to+serial

Check that your ASU software is definitely checking the correct COM port, you can verify which port is being used by looking at the device in device manager.

Dan_uk,

Got your message thank you and no I haven't updated it yet :0(

Yeah I have checked my COM port in device manager and it is correct, I have also tried through AutoStar Suite and no luck, I am going to try it through my other laptop which is windows 7 but 32 bit and see if I have any luck with that. I will let you know how it goes, I don't think I will have much luck but at least I can prove if it is windows 64/32 bit or my RS232 to USB adaptor!

As I thought I downloaded the Autostar updater on the other laptop, connected the USB and it installed a driver from Microsoft and was ready to use, when I open Autostar and try to update it tells me 'could not find Autostar' check connection, Model: Unknown and Handbox: Unknown

Pants :0(

Just thinking about it Jim, I'm using Starpatch to update my firmware. They basically take the latest firmware and patch in fixes, it's maintained Andrew Johansen who frequents Cloudy Nights.

It has it's own software to patch your Autostar that's faster then the ASU, just be sure to go over the patch options carefully and only pick enhancements you need.

http://www.stargps.ca/starpatch.htm

Dan_uk,

I have tried this, you open the program and select the Autostar hand controller (in my case Autostar  II (LX 200 GPS)) you choose the COM port (in my case COM 15 which I have checked in device manager and says ready)

It will then download only the patches that you require onto your computer and then you press 'Update Handset' but it still won't connect and tells me to check stuff, turn off then back on and hit 9,9,9 to put into safe mode

No luck

Dan_uk

I have just taken a photo but don't know how you upload pics on this site yet!

The controller is connected to the scope, the scope power is on and my cable is connected from the computer to one of the RS232 ports (I have tried both)

Archived