Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

(Wasn't sure whether to put this question here in "Getting Started Equipment Help and Advice" or "Discussions - Eyepieces" so moderator please move it if needs be, tks.)

Had some excellent views of Jupiter and M42 last Wednesday, viewing for about an hour and a half swapping between 16mm, 8.8mm, barlow with binoviewers, and barlow with eps.  Jupiter was a bit bright for me to view for any amount of time so I wondered whether a filter would make viewing more comfortable by dimming things down a little.  I've been reading around the forums, confusing myself whether to think about a ND96 moon filter or UHC filter (either Skywatcher or Castell 'cos I don't have a huge budget to spend).  Or perhaps there's something else I should be considering?

Any advice/thoughts welcomed.

Many thanks.

I don't find a UHC filter makes any difference to Jupiter personally. I've found the best views have come without a filter even with my 12" scope. I do find the more time you spend observing the planet, the more your eye adjusts and the more the subtle features start to make themselves clearer.

Thats just my findings though - "your mileage may vary" as the saying goes  :smiley:

A UHC is a very useful filter for observing nebulae though so it's worth having one anyway.

Hi Jane, I rarely use a filter on Jupiter as I prefer it unfiltered, but if I use one I find the Baader Neodymium filter the best overall (as indicated my Laurie61 above), it is also good on the Moon.

• Like 1

I was just checking the price of the Neodymium one on FLO when Robin and Mike's comments came in so thanks, all, for your comments.  The Neodymium doesn't cost much more than the UHC so that's probably the route I'll take.  

i don't know if this makes matters more complicated, but I've been comparing the Baader Neodymium and an 80a blue filter on Jupiter recently - obviously, the blue changes the colour drastically (strangely, it makes things seem greyish to me), but to me it does bring out more detail than without. So does the Neodymium one, and with more natural (though still changed) colours - but it's also a lot more expensive. In terms of detail, I'd say they're about equal.

An 80a filter might be a cheap one to try out...

• Like 2

That's a good thought, Andy, thanks.  I've wondered, too, about trying some of the real cheapies on fleabay, just to give me an idea of how they work, then making a decision.