Viewing comfort with a Dobsonian?

Hi everyone

I'm looking to move from my Meade etx-80 and buy a Skywatcher 200p dob. I'm just wondering for those who have used one, how comfortable do you find using it? My Meade is on a tripod and looking though the EP is easy but the dobs looks lower so I'd imagine a lot of bending down and back ache!

I know I should get out there and find one to look through, My local shop, Sussex astronomy centre didn't have any on display so maybe I should go along to a club with the hope someone will have one for me to try.

Thanks for the advice

Steve

Hi Steve. Just acquired my new Dob and I do end up in some low down positions in order to get a view or line up the scope. I can't say it's too much of an issue really, but I can see myself getting a chair to help with some of the longer sessions. A lot of Dob users on here recommend an ironing chair which has adjustable height, easily found on the auction sites or amazon. Will be getting one soon.

As you say, best bet is to try one at a local club. As for the Dob itself, you won't regret it one bit!!

Right-Angled Corrected Finder scope will help, and having a chair for those low-down angles.  A low table can also help, the small square kind with a drawer in (handy for keeping eyepieces or a battery for dew heaters / mount, as I saw recently), a nice solid wooden one.

I use an ironing stool with my 250PX and have fitted a Rigel QuikFinder and 9x50 right-angle correct image finder. I leave the ironing stool set at 3-4" higher than a normal garden chair and from this hight, I can see from the zenith down to my local horizon, 15° or so, with ease. The Rigel makes it quick and easy to get in the right area of sky and the RACI finder is at the same hight and angle as the main eyepiece, so quite comfortable to use for zeroing in on whatever it is I'm looking for. I find the Dob much more comfortable to use than either my refractor or my Son's 127 Mak.

Steve welcome to SGL.

I have a 10" Skywatcher Dob and I have fitted 3 - 15" legs which I bought from BandQ -

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/nails-screws-fixings-hardware/furniture-hardware/legs___supports/-specificproducttype-table_legs/Rothley-Table-Leg-L040XW-White-H400mm-x-60mm-Dia-9281965?skuId=9291665.

This allows me to stand up and look normally through the scope. I am 5'11" by the way. It gives a reasonable stable platform to work from. When I look at DSOs on the horizon I use either an ironing stool bought from Aidi or a folding stool bought from a local hardware store. I also have a counter weight attached to a strong magnet which allows the scope to be balanced depending on eyepiece etc

I also use a RDF and a 80mm correct image Stellarium finderscope.

Hi, Steve, for my 250PX I use a  stand designed for a water butt to raise the whole dob platform, a right angled CI finder and a height adjustable ironing stool for sitting (I also use the stool with my CG5 - very comfortable for height). This set up seems to eliminate most of the bending and strain. The stand fits the dob base perfectly, and will take the weight of the set up without any problem.

Martin

I bought a stool which goes up and down via air power from Aldi.  It's one of the best things I ever bought for astronomy!

When you have your Dob, it will be such a revelation after using your small refractor, you probably wouldn't notice the pain even if you had any!

:grin:

I'm loving all these ideas, making a shopping list now! 

Now do I get the 200p or the 250px?!!!

Steve.

Get the larger one if you can afford it - the tube is the same length, it's just fatter. It doesn't weigh too much either, 13kg for the OTA and 15kg for the base :).

In a longer session, it can get pretty tiring for your neck and back in awkward positions. I am looking at getting some kind of stool as mentioned above, and I have a camping chair I should really put to use.

I use a little stool or simple wooden ladder back dining chair when observing with my 200p Dob. Perfect.

I have to say, while I think the 200p is the best value scope on the market, and I adore mine, if you can afford it and you're in two minds - go for the 250p. However, for the money you can get the 200p and really a nice eyepiece... decisions decisions!

All the best whatever you decide.

I used to own a 200P dob. I made a slight modification to mine by putting it on some adjustable legs only so it was easier to get the thing stable.

I then used an adjustable camping stool to sit on when viewing. The camping stool meant I could raise or lower easily depending on the objects I was viewing at the time. 

You should find sitting at the scope is actually rather easy and comfortable. But I would highly recommend getting a seat which is adjustable.

I have to agree with all the recommendations here. I bought myself a little portable stool from the range, which has been brilliant for me and it was a fiver! It is comfortable unless I am looking up towards the Zenith when it isn't quite tall enough, but for 90% of my viewing is great. I also got rid of the straight through finder and bought the right angle correct image finder from Bristol Camera's. Came quickly and was the cheapest available at the time.

I have just added a Telrad which makes it a lot quicker to get on target so less time bent over right angle finder. Thus easier on the back! :)

Hi Steve, As a proud owner of the Skywatcher 300p Dob I can say that u will

need some kind of obeserving stool of chair for those long clear night.

But let me just say that I have no problem observing for hours on end

and I suffer from accute rhuemathoid arthritis.

Just 1 last thing, as u know ,the higher in the sky the stars are the clearer

they are as u have a lot less atmosphere to see through, so what I'm saying is if its to low

just wait il it rises higher and leave the really low stuff alone til the seasons change

and rise higher in the sky.

Cheers Roy

You may find this interesting! http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/205732-my-sw-skyliner-200p-additions-and-modifications/ When it comes to choosing between the various sized Dobs, there are hidden differences which may swing the balance. I never carry a Dob in one piece so I like the fact that the 250px with knurled collimation knobs can sit comfortably on carpet on its mirror end, whereas the 200p, once you've got fed up with the O rings and countersunk screws and replaced them with Bob's Knobs and Springs, won't do so and has to be laid gently on a sofa or bed once it's separated from the mount.

Archived