Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Guest telescope4u

How do YOU imagine the Universe?

It is rather odd that the universe on a massive scale appears to have a similar construction to that of the brain,

And reminds me of Men in black the the Galaxy the cat is carrying around and of course the end credits with the aliens playing marbles with galaxys.

Well yes its silly, as we know Galaxy's are not isolated universes, but could the universe as we see it be part of something bigger.

as we know Galaxy's are not isolated universes, but could the universe as we see it be part of something bigger.

Yes i think so , with "Universes" as common and numerous as known Galaxies ,and so on . I don't believe we have even scratched the surface with our knowledge and understanding. :)

Its big, yet small. It's round, yet square. It goes forever, but ends in a day. - said by me, moments ago!

For the last few years I've pictured the Universe to be a giant being.

For example...

This beings name is Jeffrey. He is a simple man living in Spain. He plays golf on the weekends, and enjoys a fine brisket!

Inside him, theres millions and billions of cells, big, small, blue, yellow, etc etc.

To him, they're blood, organs, etc etc. To us, they're stars, planets, space, distance to other objects.

The reason why we cannot tell its blood or if it has oxygen and all that, is because the distance between each object is quite vast, but its also quite small. Its all relative to the size of the object isn't it?

So basically... in this example. Our god's name is Jeffrey. lol...

We live in Jeffrey, who lives in a tennis ball, which lives in a spoon, which lives in a frog, which lives in a little lollipop, which somehow, magically, lives back inside Jeffrey whom lives in a pokeball.

Basically.... That's one of my many theories about the Universe. Heck... I even drew a picture...

Keep in mind, this picture was drawn about a year ago. So yes, my artist skills have increased!!

godtheory.jpg

So there you have it. Thats one of my many and infinite theories!

Edited by Hadescomet

I see the universe as a finite object in a infinite void, I believe it has an edge which feathers out to nothing.

However that conception is flawed by my human perspectives, my whole life is dictated by starts and ends, its "Not My fault" to use my most hated cop out expression, but for once I think its valid.

Edited by Earl

Wasn't it Lawrence Krauss who said "the only reason the Universe exists is because we are here at a time that we are able to observe it" or words to that effect.

As such we are the most fortunate people to of ever existed over our 2 million year development as Humankind. And for all we know this may be 'as good as it gets'

I have enough problems envisaging the distances involved let alone bringing in other dimensions such as time and multi-verses.

IMO intelligent life has to exist elsewhere in the Universe, it's too improbable not to exist.

But I suspect that every intelligent lifeform will have the same conversations as the distances involved will mean that to all intents and purposes we are alone - as communication will never be possible.

Ant

To say communication will never be possible. I feel is a bit glass half empty

Quantum entanglement shows a form of instant communication over unimaginable distances in theory. I'm no physicist but you can never say never.

Edited by DrNeb

You know... I was thinking. *world explode* Sorry my bad :rolleyes:

I think that the Universe, how big it is, how small it is, and everything is related to each person differently. Like for example. I may see the Universe as red. Others may see it black, white, blue, etc.

We all have a different perception of whats true and not. Some believe in higher powers, others dont. So I think the Universe shapes it self around our individual beliefs and expectations. Kind of like particles.

I read somewhere that some particles did what the scientists expected of them.

It's like going up to the Large Hadron Collider and expecting it (upon completion of whatever it does) to give you/creating a chocolate cheesecake. ;)

Ok kids, this is how i see it.

i have attached a picture to help explain.

Atoms consist of electrons wizzing around a central nucleus/protons in a sort of orbit.

Add lots of atoms together and you've got molecules, enough of those and you've got something bigger, such as this chair!

Now, the moon orbits us, we orbit the sun. our solar system orbits the galactic core of our galaxy and the galaxy is probably orbiting the closest object with greater mass. and everything is probably orbiting around the center of the universe/bigbang area (while obviously expanding away from it)

so duplicate that scenario, stack it close together just like the atoms. perhaps we're just a very tiny part in something much bigger. maybe not a can of spam. but i hope you get my logic. (or lack of)

I really went all out in MSPaint. i hope you appreciate it.

post-21781-133877642847_thumb.jpg

Edited by DrNeb

The fractal nature of the universe indicates that it is nothing more than a holographic representation of a mathematical algorithm derived from the laws of existential logic.

How that translates into a physical structure can be easily explained.

Based on what physicists have so far discovered. I.e. The Lorentz Contraction, all of space time could be created by a single elementary particle with mass travelling almost at the speed of light.

A single particle with the ability to be almost anywhere and anywhen could form the entire known universe with it's position and motion dictated by those fractal mathematical laws.

If it were travelling at the speed of light then the universe wouldn't actually exist as it would simultaneously be everywhere at once.. and seeing as the universe isn't a totally uniform solid object in all directions then its speed must be fractionally under this.

It would also explain the expanding nature of the universe. If the particle is in a state of perpetual acceleration, then its range would also steadily increase.

This particle could be the Higgs-Boson or it could be something that all currently known elementary particles are "made" of.

I'm surprised actually that no big-name physicist has offered this up as an explanation for the universe. Or maybe they have and this is what they are trying to establish with the LHC before publishing?

There are fears amongst some physicists that if the Higgs-Boson is detected (which may in turn cause a deviation in its velocity) then this would create a quantum shockwave which would instantaneously cause the universe to contract in on itself around the point of detection.

Perhaps this happens time and time again?

If true and because the mathematics behind the fractal equations will never change, then it's also possible that each and every universe is identical to the previous one.. like an infinite tape loop never to end, playing the same song over and over again.

In a multiverse scenario, then there may be more than one of these particles, each with a different fractal equation and it's the attractive force between them that causes the acceleration.

How something like this would pop into existence in an eternal vacuum of nothingness might just be down to the simple laws of probability. Given an infinite space and infinite time then the probability of something appearing randomly in that space is actually 1 in 1.. If it wasn't, then we wouldn't be here. ;)

The fractal nature of the universe indicates that it is nothing more than a holographic representation of a mathematical algorithm derived from the laws of existential logic.

How that translates into a physical structure can be easily explained.

Based on what physicists have so far discovered. I.e. The Lorentz Contraction, all of space time could be created by a single elementary particle with mass travelling almost at the speed of light.

A single particle with the ability to be almost anywhere and anywhen could form the entire known universe with it's position and motion dictated by those fractal mathematical laws.

If it were travelling at the speed of light then the universe wouldn't actually exist as it would simultaneously be everywhere at once.. and seeing as the universe isn't a totally uniform solid object in all directions then its speed must be fractionally under this.

It would also explain the expanding nature of the universe. If the particle is in a state of perpetual acceleration, then its range would also steadily increase.

This particle could be the Higgs-Boson or it could be something that all currently known elementary particles are "made" of.

I'm surprised actually that no big-name physicist has offered this up as an explanation for the universe. Or maybe they have and this is what they are trying to establish with the LHC before publishing?

There are fears amongst some physicists that if the Higgs-Boson is detected (which may in turn cause a deviation in its velocity) then this would create a quantum shockwave which would instantaneously cause the universe to contract in on itself around the point of detection.

Perhaps this happens time and time again?

If true and because the mathematics behind the fractal equations will never change, then it's also possible that each and every universe is identical to the previous one.. like an infinite tape loop never to end, playing the same song over and over again.

In a multiverse scenario, then there may be more than one of these particles, each with a different fractal equation and it's the attractive force between them that causes the acceleration.

How something like this would pop into existence in an eternal vacuum of nothingness might just be down to the simple laws of probability. Given an infinite space and infinite time then the probability of something appearing randomly in that space is actually 1 in 1.. If it wasn't, then we wouldn't be here. ;)

So the universe is one big particle. I just said that! do i get a cookie?

So the universe is one big particle. I just said that! do i get a cookie?

In that case Do I get 2 cookies for saying it earlier in the thread? Nope! Because there is no right answer. This thread is about how YOU IMAGINE the universe. Not what is the correct theory of the universe.

Richard

If we were able to fly in a straight line long enough and fast enough would we eventually come back on ourselves ??

That's my ideas about the shape of the universe.

Or the fact that we could just be inside a drop of water on a leaf somewhere. Mind melting stuff.

Leigh

If we were able to fly in a straight line long enough and fast enough would we eventually come back on ourselves ??

That's my ideas about the shape of the universe.

Or the fact that we could just be inside a drop of water on a leaf somewhere. Mind melting stuff.

Leigh

It does not loop, and in fact if you travel far enough away you will never be able to get back as the space in-between you and your point of origin will be expanding faster than the speed of light.

To travel in space we need a way to bend the rules.

I missed that! I was sure somebody would have alrady linked it... :-)

hmm what a question :) ,endless and very empty apart from all the galaxies,suns,planets,nebulas ect... :D it would be fantastic to find out!