Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How do YOU imagine the Universe?

Guest telescope4u

Guest telescope4u

OK. No fancy answers here. No book explanations.

How do you Imagine the Universe to be?

The reason I ask is, when I was a child I couldn't visualise anything outside the solar system. In fact I thought the solar system was the universe and stars were just decorations. ( A bit like the celestial sphere really....you got to a point and then you were stopped by a wall of blackness.). As it got older an people explained to me the concept and the vastness of the of the universe, but even now I still have difficulty imagining a Universe without black walls... What about you guy's?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, I don't think I can get a picture in my mind that makes much sense. I sometimes get an image of a plane in space, on one side of which are galaxies, and on the other side there is nothing, but the idea isn't really connected to any theories I've read. Even if I picture myself in space, I imagine a scene something like the background for this forum. Not very imaginative, I'm afraid.

Hungry Spud?

I don't have much problems visualising the universe - I've seen plenty of documentories thast have shown a "map" of most of the Universe and where our galaxy lies within it.

I have major difficulty in several area's

1. Why is there no edge - the universe must finite is size - so what is the other side?

2. 11 dimensional space time! I like 4, 4 is a nice number and is nice and easy to visualise... who the hell needs 11.

Ant

Big. And, for the most part, empty!! I can just imagine flying for years and apparantly not moving, and seeing nothing else move either.

I'm the same as Ant, as well as not understanding what spacetime is and why it warps with gravity.

A "Jaffa Cake" is a good one!!

The problem is that humans have a difficultly with is the concept of "Finite" . Astronomers deal with vast distances and time.

How many times has a friend asked you "How far is that smudge away" You respond with.

"Well, it went bang at the time of the dinosaurs, which created it, So we are only seeing the light emitted from it now - that's how far away it is!."

Humans have a difficultly with something not having an end or reaching a conclusion, being that the universe is so vast would we ever grasp the concept of the "Size of the universe"

Does it actually go on for ever?? Will we ever find out.

Oooo deep!!

Greg

I think we are all in a big dome myself prisoners , outside this dome is our maker looking in on us , teasing us , one day he will smash the dome and we will all be in a bigger dome , it goes on and on , :lol: :lol: well who can come up with a better one , no one knows do they , sit and think about it for a while , you will never find answer , it just blows our minds ,

Or are we really here is it an an illusion!!!

Rog

:lol: :lol:

Psychology 101!!! "If the table exists - prove it exists - and in doing so prove to yourself that you exist!!!...."

Now we're getting somewhere!!

Another argument could be................

"Are we, the human race , so ignorant to assume that we are the only life form that have consciousness in the galaxy........."

IE....  Does the universe really exist........Is there anything beyond our Solar System..........???

(Roswell??????)

Very good thread by the way!!

Greg

Psychology 101!!! "If the table exists - prove it exists - and in doing so prove to yourself that you exist!!!...."

Now we're getting somewhere!!

Another argument could be................

"Are we, the human race , so ignorant to assume that we are the only life form that have consciousness in the galaxy........."

IE....  Does the universe really exist........Is there anything beyond our Solar System..........???

(Roswell??????)

Very good thread by the way!!

Greg

BAck to Decartes, "I think therefore I am." I may be deceived about everything in the universe, including my own reflection in the mirror, and my physical self. But it is I that is having the delusion, therefore I must exist. You, however, are brought into being by my delusion. :lol:

Roswell is irrelevant. I think, myself, that the USAF built it to keep the UFO conspiracy theorists busy, and distract them from the real aliens. Geo. Bush, for example. Possibly Tony Blair, but no Canadian politicians - why would they bother?

The possibility of life existing elsewhere in the universe, and the possibility of sentient life existing nowhere else in the universe are both finite numbers. We just might be the only lonely ones.

IMO intelligent life has to exist elsewhere in the Universe, it's too improbable not to exist.

But I suspect that every intelligent lifeform will have the same conversations as the distances involved will mean that to all intents and purposes we are alone - as communication will never be possible.

Ant

• 5 years later...

I'm still trying to comprehend the distance between us and the next nearest star (after the sun) 4 freaking light years. I mean come on, 8 mins from sol to us and then 4 years from alpha centauri at approx 186000 miles per second. That is such an insignificant distance in the galaxy let alone the universe.

I just imagine darkness. From most parts of space (intergalactic space) the brightest things in the sky would be distant galaxies, maybe about as bright as the ones in the Virgo Cluster are to us.

I truly don't think that the size of the universe is at all comprehensible to us. Funnily enough, I was on the comp before while the wife was reading with our daughter and I kept distracting her with Hubble photos. I was looking at the one from the mid '90's where they reckon some of the galaxies on it are so old that they are shown 1 billion years after the big bang then we got onto to talking numbers. I explained about AU units then light years, then she asked me how many mile away something 12 billion light years would be.

Then our brains collapsed. The sheer size of the numbers involved is insane.

I like to think of the universe as...well...huge. LOL

She just rolls her eyes when I start talking about string theory and multiverses.

:-)

Paul

Size is relative, so are most other things!

If asked to point UP, most people would point at he ceiling, but people in the UK would be pointing in the opposite direction to those in Australia.

To us humans, the Grand Canyon is big, as are the Andes. To us some teeny tiny things are so small that their behaviour is affected by our attempts at observing them.

Maybe the Universe is unimaginally big to us, but to other 'beings'........

Ever since I saw the fairly recent picture of the universe with the Dark Matter factored in and connecting the galaxies, I thought it looked a lot like thr neural network of a brain.

What if all of us here on Earth were just part of the brain of a humongous being.

What if our existence was just the physical manifestation of an idea, or an emotion, of this giant being.

(And if so, what would that idea or emotion be? Love, or anger? The recipe for Coq-au-Vin, the cure for cancer, or "gee I need to scratch my butt"?)

That for the moment, is what I feel when I think of the universe.

post-27113-133877626298_thumb.png

Archived