Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some help for a newbie

Luke_uk

Hello, I'm Luke from Farnborough, Hampshire.

After having a long term interest in the nights sky I finally got my first telescope yesterday and was keen to try it out last night.

The scope in question is a Sky-Watcher 130p with AZ goto. With a background in navigation from the merchant navy the goto wasn't really an issue and although not quite spot on I'm sure with practise I will get it. My issue is the general setup of the scope with so many screws and attachments both myself and Partner ( who is a very keen bird watcher) are a little confused.

Lenses . I think after reading up last night I get the general idea. The scope came with a Barlow X2, 10mm and 25mm. When looking at Jupiter last night I could not make out a lot of detail. I know I can reduce the wobble by reducing the height of the tri-pod. I also read I may get better result by not using the Barlow with the 10mm. Is this true and if so how do I fit it?

I think some better lenses would be worth purchasing, but what ones? Also some more in depth instructions would be nice?

If anyone has any advice of a newbie it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Welcome to SGL Luke. Might be worth putting the post over on the Getting started section to make sure most people see it and can respond. Most scopes come with basic eyepieces (EP's) which are ok to start with , but many people replace them after a while.  Have a look at some of the getting started 'stickies' IE pinned articles, that explain a lot about the mathematics behind the scopes and the interchangeable EP's and the effects of barrows. just do a search. if not someone will respond.

Regards

Welcome to SGL

One of the contributory factors to not being able to see objects very well is the state of the atmosphere.  It varies all the time, but some nights even though it looks clear it's just not steady enough or there's hazy high cloud that prevents you getting the best out of the kit.  That does seem to have been very common this winter.

The stock eyepieces (particularly the 10mm) aren't the best in the world, but I'd give it a few more attempts before changing anything.  It may well also be worth checking the collimation of the scope (you do need an extra bit of kit for this -- either a laser collimator or a cheshire alignment tool) just to make sure the mirrors are all properly set up.

James

Hi Luke welcome to the lounge

all scopes take a bit of getting use to so it's best to

persevere for a while until you find your way around

your scope, first time out is usually experimental. 

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Hello, I'm Luke from Farnborough, Hampshire.

After having a long term interest in the nights sky I finally got my first telescope yesterday and was keen to try it out last night.

The scope in question is a Sky-Watcher 130p with AZ goto. With a background in navigation from the merchant navy the goto wasn't really an issue and although not quite spot on I'm sure with practise I will get it. My issue is the general setup of the scope with so many screws and attachments both myself and Partner ( who is a very keen bird watcher) are a little confused.

Lenses . I think after reading up last night I get the general idea. The scope came with a Barlow X2, 10mm and 25mm. When looking at Jupiter last night I could not make out a lot of detail. I know I can reduce the wobble by reducing the height of the tri-pod. I also read I may get better result by not using the Barlow with the 10mm. Is this true and if so how do I fit it?

I think some better lenses would be worth purchasing, but what ones? Also some more in depth instructions would be nice?

If anyone has any advice of a newbie it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hi,

The wobble will never really go away and it's a nuisance but you do get used to it. The flexing is not just from the tripod, it comes from the mount, too. I know because I've got a 130 F7, which is even worse because of the extra tube length.

The supplied Eps are not bad, but the Barlow is not great, if it's the same one I got with my scope. You should comfortably manage x200 with that scope. I bought BST starguiders for my own Explorer 130 and was not at all disappointed. They are not too dear and will give you much better brightness and clarity. A 5mm, 13mm and 25mm will give you a good range. To get the x200, you'd need 3.2mm. I can't advise on these as I don't yet have one!

At x130 (x2 Barlow + 10mm on an F5 130 scope), you should have got clear images, so long as it was not misty, loads of light pollution etc. If you think the sky was not nice and black, try the standard issue on a clearer night before you splash out loads of dosh on nice new eyepieces!

Archived