Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Has anyone seen a meteor yesterday?

PlanetGazer

Hello there, 

I went to a remote site yesterday with a couple of my friends to observe Jupiter. We are beginners in the world of astronmy and know almost nothing about the objects in the sky. Me and and one of my friends were looking up the sky at around 2 am local time 25.Jan (11pm GMT 24.Jan) only to observe a quick object traveling above the head position for around 2 seconds and then it disappeared quickly. It was a cloudless night so I don't know why the object disappeared in the over the head position! I've read the other day that man-made satellite can disappear, after observation, when they become in the shadow of the earth, but it was a bit to quick for a satellite. I quickly changed my mind and thought it could be a meteor, since it was quick. The object was bright blue and had a small tale. I had the understanding that metros are reddish since I've only seen them once and red when I was young, if my memory serves well.

I'm just not sure what I seen, but it was an amazing moment to observe!

Regards

Sounds like what you did see was a meteor, you get them all sorts of colours, white, green orange etc. some leaving smoking tails too, 

Satellites pass by slowly, you can check them by logging onto heavens above.com and entering your location. That will let you see what will be passing at any given time.

Yes, my neighbour saw one around that time, overhead, while I was lining up m82. Shame I missed it, although they are not that uncommon.

You can check for satellite passes on the heavens above web site. Worth registering on spot the station for alerts on ISS flyovers

I was out observing about that time last night and definitely saw a meteor trail -  bright white,staring East and heading West. Always a treat, though to be fair I usually see at least one each night I'm out observing for anything more than a couple of hours; they're reasonably common.

I was outside for about 9 hours last night and saw 3 trails of light at separate times, I'm sure there would have been more but my eye was on my telescope for most of the time. The first one I saw through my finder scope as I was looking for Polaris and by the time I took my eye away I wasn't convinced I'd actually seen anything. The others were similar although I saw them with my naked eye, there are probably lots of them in a night that we don't even see because we're not looking at the particular bit of sky. The things I saw weren't bright by any means.

Still, it's always another little wonder on a cold starry night to keep you amused.

I was looking for m82 last night and also saw something. It went east to north in a horizontal plane quite fast in the scope, it was yellowish and did not have any flashing lights, so assume it was a satellite but then again was it a meteorite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived