Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Supernova in M82 (SN2014J): Bit brighter tonight ?

John

Nice one Mark.

After struggling away with 3" and 4" scopes, averted vision and all that, I got the big guns on it tonight, and there it was, clear as day :-). What a difference aperture makes!

I would agree with the other brightness estimates, around 10.6.

Need to collimate the scope, but very nice views none the less.

Stu

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought some 20x80 binos at Astrofest and tried to view the SN last night. Although I could see both M81 and M82 I could not be certain that I could see the SN. I quickly took out the 6" Newt and used the 6mm and 9mm Hutech EPs. Even with the Moon I could easily make out the Galaxy and the SN. The SN seemed slightly fainter than the last time I view it but was still about mag 10.6.

I viewed the Galaxy and SN for about 15/20 minutes and then clouds returned. Anyway its good to know that the SN is still visible.

Raining most of the day and still very windy after the storm last night (The Chinooks are bringing folk across to help out)

Suddenly this evening though, the clouds parted and wind eased off a bit so out I went until the full moon brightened up the

high moisture sky.

SN 2014J Is still pretty obvious, but very nearly Mag 11 again now (although the moon might have affaected the seeing here).

I suppose it will dim rather quickly now, though we have had a long time of descent brightness for such a far away thing.

Jupiter and its family looked good up high, the cloud bands look a lot crisper when it is near the zenith.

Nice little hour out between the storms and havoc

Mick

I've just managed a peek at the SN with my 12" dob @ 122x. It seems to be about the same as when I last viewed it though perhaps a little fainter than the mag 10.6 star nearby but still a little brighter than a mag 11.1 star. So mag 10.8 ish perhaps ? 

Archived