Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Supernova in M82 (SN2014J): Bit brighter tonight ?

John

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at the SN tonight with the 6" Newt and a 8mm Ethos (94x) and I did not think that the magnitude had increased since yesterday. I crossed checked the star TYC4383 -1099-1 (mag 10.62) and they still appeared the same.

I agree as well Mark & Mark. I put the brightness tonight as the same as last night - around mag 10.5. 

Caught in a gap between the clouds before the rain came back yesterday evening.

Sky was not great, and the line of site was above some streetlights (Thankfully occulted by my house).

I have been unable to observe for 3 days and in comparison to last Thursday this is brightening well and certainly

catching up with the star lower left from the galaxy, and much brighter than the faint one (again lower left but closer)

that sits in front of the fainter, dusty fringe of the galaxy.

Unfortunately I will be unable to look from here tonight, clouds are already building for this evenings deluge.

Clear skies, Mick

The sky cleared for a while tonight, and before the resultant fog got thick and high enough to blot out all else I

Managed to spot SN 2014J.

It still looks to be around Mag 10.9 though the seeing tonight is rubbish and getting worse.

Just like Comets, it looks as though bright SNs are coming in groups lately with another brightening in

M99. Ive started a thread in case it brightens as J has.

Mick

Here's the graph folks. Looks like the rate of brightening is starting to drop off (still getting brighter but more slowly). Bare in mind that this one is nearly 2 weeks old now so might not have the legs to get much brighter???

Copied this link off another thread last week. Loads of good stuff on this website (of you are into this sort of thing)...

Paul

http://www.aavso.org/lcg/plot?auid=000-BLG-310&starname=PSN+J09554214%2B6940260&lastdays=20&start=2456678&stop=2456698&obscode=&obscode_symbol=2&obstotals=yes&calendar=calendar&forcetics=&grid=on&visual=on&r=on&fainterthan=on&bband=on&v=on&pointsize=1&width=800&height=450&mag1=&mag2=&mean=&vmean=

Same here - it does appear from reports to be levelling off.  Perhaps it won't  quite reach the one in M101 a couple of years back. Think that reached near 10 mag.  This one is more of a 'sight'  though to me.

andrew

I agree - this is the best SN I've observed. M82 is a fascinating galaxy to study too and reveals some subtle structure in quite modest apertures. I seem to recall seeing the M101 SN but often little sign of it's host galaxy !.

I've barely seen a star since my last report on this SN  :sad:

... or the sun during the day.  I thought I was going mad and said to myself, surely winters were better than this. Since I started astronomy and this is my first observing winter I tend to keep an eye on the forecast a lot more closely I wasn't sure. Now I know it is not just my imagination, wettest January in a 100 years confirmed. 

Same here - it does appear from reports to be levelling off.  Perhaps it won't  quite reach the one in M101 a couple of years back. Think that reached near 10 mag.  This one is more of a 'sight'  though to me.

andrew

SN2011fe in M101 reached 9.9. My estimate of this SN on Jan 28 was 10.5, but U have not been able to see it since. It might still pass 9.9, but I have my doubts. I do feel this one pops out more at you than SN2011fe

SN2011fe in M101 reached 9.9. My estimate of this SN on Jan 28 was 10.5, but U have not been able to see it since. It might still pass 9.9, but I have my doubts. I do feel this one pops out more at you than SN2011fe

I've just managed a quick peek at SN2014j through small gaps in the clouds. It's still a fairly easy spot with the 4" refractor but I reckon has now dimmed a little since I last observed it. My estimate tonight is mag 10.8. 

Got some breaks in the fast moving clouds also John -  difficult conditions.  I'd estimate around mag 10.6 or a touch below.  Still a lovely site shining in the haze.

andrew

I guess you are not far from me Andrew - same fast moving clouds I expect !

It's great having these grab and go refractors though for nights like this where you can't trust the weather for a moment  :rolleyes2:

Got up early, all set with hail and rain within 15 minutes, managed to get the scope in just in time. Well worth it though,with the bad weather and all. My first attempt lasted a few minutes due to cloud, so did this one, but the plough was near zenith and much clearer this time.  SN shining brightly, beautiful stuff. Also a couple of mins look at Mars.

Well worth getting up for. Time for some more kip I guess. :smiley:

I must've been lucky or maybe had a clearer sky but once I located M82 (the first time I've seen it actually), the SN was really obvious even without averted vision. A real buzz to see something like this, something that blew my mind, the more I thought about it - the notion of how *long ago* this star actually died and we are only just seeing it now.

Astronomy never stops amazing me.

Archived