Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

John

Supernova in M82 (SN2014J): Bit brighter tonight ?

I've just had a quick peek at SN2014J in M82 and I fancy that it is a touch brighter than my last observation on the 22/1. My estimate is about mag 10.5 tonight whereas on the 22nd I felt it was around 11.0.

The scope was my ED120 refractor @ 69x

I'd be interested in what anyone else who gets a sight of this this evening estimates it to be :smiley:

Way to windy here, local weather station reported gusts of up to 60mph earlier. Not looking at all good for tonight

Phil

Beer time me thinks in coventry. Windy and very cold. Lightning and hail stones earlier. Hopefully get a look at m82 tomoz night.

Isn't windy at the moment where you are?

Very blustery but mostly clear at the moment. The refractor is much more stable than the dob in these conditions.

Blowing a gale and was pouring down here! Looks clear, but won't risk putting the scope out. May have a look around with binos in a little while. Limiting mag in them is around 9.3 or 9.4 so no chance of the SN yet.<br />

<br />

Sty

Very blustery but mostly clear at the moment. The refractor is much more stable than the dob in these conditions.

We had a power cut earlier because of the wind. It will get less windy later on. But clear sky is expected to last till about 1am. Hoping to have a first light tonight and perhaps spot the supernova.

Just back in - breezy but keeping the clouds at bay.  I thought about the same as you John - a bit brighter than on the 22 perhaps by a half mag - easier to see at lower power also.

andrew

Just back in - breezy but keeping the clouds at bay.  I thought about the same as you John - a bit brighter than on the 22 perhaps by a half mag - easier to see at lower power also.

andrew

Thanks Andrew  :smiley:

Very blustery, had to keep low. With the 200 Dob. Looks a bit brighter than last time. Awful seeing, but noticeable at x48 before diving in at x130,

Nick.

Repeating from another thread, as I would like feddback: I am trying to spot the SN this evening and I am finding it difficult. I have found M82 ok and I see some brightness but whether it is the SN or another star I just cannot make out. I am using a 25mm (60x) EP. A limitation of my eyes and/or the telescope ?

John, this is the first time I have seen it but it is very much more brighter than the surface brightness of the galaxy itself. That was surprising to me. 

Steve, it may depend on your sky conditions, light pollution and your eye adaption to the dark. Give it 20 mins and try it again. If you can bump up the magnification as much as you can, the Supernova seems to look brighter and takes magnification well. When I bumped the mag up from x72 to x180 the nova became more visible. Also use averted vision to spot it first, then it will be easy to see as your brain picks it out.  Good luck.  :)

Edited by Beulah
  • Like 1

Repeating from another thread, as I would like feddback: I am trying to spot the SN this evening and I am finding it difficult. I have found M82 ok and I see some brightness but whether it is the SN or another star I just cannot make out. I am using a 25mm (60x) EP. A limitation of my eyes and/or the telescope ?

I have responded to your other post as advice above - hope it helps !  You have probably seen it.

andrew

Edited by andrew63
  • Like 2

I think we saw it in a 90mm scope with low power this evening  :grin:

Helen

I think we saw it in a 90mm scope with low power this evening  :grin:

Helen

Show-off   :smiley:

andrew

It's the brightest SN by quite a bit of the 7 I've observed to date. If you can see M82 then the SN stands right out. Previous ones have been quite a lot harder to spot often coming and going with the seeing but this one is a steady point of light. 

That said, it decidedly easier to spot at 69x than it is at 28x with my ED120 tonight and 120x and 180x makes it more prominent again. My advice is to find M82 using low power than switch to a medium power to observe the SN.

Seeing conditions at high powers on other objects such as Jupiter and double stars is poor here tonight though. 

I can see it very clearly John,

I don't think I am experienced enough to guess the brightness, I will try and compare with some others on Stellarium as a guide but it is very easy to spot  :grin:  I am pretty chuffed about it to say the least.

It's the brightest SN by quite a bit of the 7 I've observed to date. If you can see M82 then the SN stands right out. Previous ones have been quite a lot harder to spot often coming and going with the seeing but this one is a steady point of light. 

That said, it decidedly easier to spot at 69x than it is at 28x with my ED120 tonight and 120x and 180x makes it more prominent again. My advice is to find M82 using low power than switch to a medium power to observe the SN.

Seeing conditions at high powers on other objects such as Jupiter and double stars is poor here tonight though. 

I've just struggled with Jupiter with the 180 Mak  :huh:   But we had managed to see 3 and then 4 moons and some bands with the 90mm refractor so not all lost  :smiley:

Helen

John I have just come in from observing the SN. I had produced a chart from Stellarium showing stars in the surrounding area. I used the 10" Dob and my 21mm, 13mm and 8mm Ethos and also had a go with the Hutech 9mm.

There is a star closeby at mag 10.6 and I thought they look about the same magnitude so clearly the SN is getting brighter.

The wind had dropped so I was able to observe without the scope shaking about.

It will be good if we get another clear night over the next few days to compare further.

• Like 1

I would say it is not quite as bright as the star to the bottom right of Alcor and that is showing as 9.71 in stellarium.

Edited by Pig

Got this for the first time tonight in a 12" dob. Mag+10.5 is my estimate. Seriously bright this one and looks superb! Gives me goosebumps just thinking about the processes that were going on 11.8 mly ago to create this view! Amazing.

John I have just come in from observing the SN. I had produced a chart from Stellarium showing stars in the surrounding area. I used the 10" Dob and my 21mm, 13mm and 8mm Ethos and also had a go with the Hutech 9mm.

There is a star closeby at mag 10.6 and I thought they look about the same magnitude so clearly the SN is getting brighter.

It will be good if we get another clear night over the next few days to compare further.

Perfect! Totally agree. I've gone for Mag +10.5 tonight.

Quite obvious...in both 12" and 4". I would guess it is at least half a magnitude brighter than the galaxy.

Thats great Mark. It's gone a bit cloudy and milky here so I've packed in for tonight. Looking at the reports on the forum we have a strong consensus of mag 10.5-10.7 so thats a pretty good correlation I reckon.

I was using the same star that you were for the comparison I think.

If this continues to brighten it's going to hit binocular brightness perhaps !

In another day or so it could match the 10th mag star a little closer to M82 than the mag 10.6 one. They form convenient pointers to the SN which is handy  :smiley:

Just had a quick look with my bino's and, to me, it looks a little brighter than the 10.6 star as well. (10.4 -10.5) ?