SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Almost Not Hello

pie2211

Hello everybody! Only a month into the star gazing and absolutely love it. But it was almost not to be.

Santa deliverd a Heritage P130 on Christmas Day, and the first clear night produced pretty awful results, which was great! If it had gone too smoothly I don't think I would have been hooked so fast.

A large, blurry half cat's eye, no matter what adjustments were made, was the only result we could get in this telescope. But after checking for operator error, finally decided to blame the tool and this ultimately revealed a significant issue. The mounting for the secondary mirror was bent at the tube by 15 degrees or so, which as I'm certain you all know is not per the manufacturing spec. A crash course in telescope mechanics and optics led to learning all kinds of interesting stuff and finding this place. A promising start for fostering a long term interest in my book.

In the end couldn't wait for the shops to reopen in the new year so the decision was taken to remove the kid gloves, whatever the outcome or cost, to fabricate and fit a new mounting rod after a trip to B&Q. Bit of collimating later and bingo on the last clear night of 2013 Jupiter popped into bright and clear focus and it was just, wow a fantastic result!

So here we are fully invested, new telescope fully bloodied and a new set of BST Explorers ready to go for the next clear night and hopefully a copy of 'Turn Left At Orion' will turn up before then too.

Cheers,

Rob

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to SGL :)

Nice one on fixing the problem yourself, which EP did you order?

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey Matt,

Thanks!

Went for an 8mm, 15mm and 25mm. Pretty much an even spread to build general experience. Very much looking forward to building on what's been learnt so far.

Rob

Archived