Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
dave cooke

Testing, testing, testing

Hello all,

I have had to send a recently purchased 4" APO back as I was unhappy with its performance. I wish to be a bit coy about the make at this stage except to say that it was towards the expensive end off the market, I will also add that the shop is willingly replacing the scope and I have no criticism whatsoever of the retailer.

My question is what should I be able to see with such an instrument. I believe the following should be possible.

1 Detect 5 stars in the trapezium

2 Split epsilon Aries

3 Detect the craterlets in Plato

I would welcome opinions on wether my expectations are too high given my approx mag 4 skies. It seems to me that is difficult to remain objective(sorry) when testing telescopes unless it is taken to an optical laboratory or similar. On receipt of the second scope I need to give the retailer a decision on the scope fairly quickly as he has been fair with me.

Regards

Dave Cooke

Dave,

You won't be able to see more than 4 stars in the Trapezium with a 4 inch under normal conditions - I managed 2 more (the E and F componants) with a 10 inch scope - and that was very challenging in ideal conditions.

I can just make out one or two craterlets in Plato with my 4 inch Vixen ED on an excellent night - again these are very challenging targets.

Epsilon Arietis is right at the edge of a 4 inch scopes capability on a very good night of seeing.

With objects which are right at the edge of the possible performance of a scope, sky conditions and experience of the observer come into play - frankly under Mag 4 skies you might be asking to much of any 4 inch scope IMHO.

John

Dave, I'd have to agree with John. In mag 5.5 skies using a precisely collimated 10" reflector and very good eyepieces I can sometimes see the E star in the Trapezium. I've yet to see the F star.

Usually seeing conditions cause problems and its fairly rare in the UK to be able to push any telescope to its theoretical limits and light pollution is another problem...

James

Craterlets on Plato anyone ? :D

I must try that with my 10"

Matt

I would welcome opinions on wether my expectations are too high given my approx mag 4 skies

To be honest i do think your expectations are on the optomistic side :D. I would be surprised if your replacement fairs any better.

Craterlets on Plato anyone ? :lol:

I must try that with my 10"

Matt

I think I'm probably kidding myself that I can make them out TBH :D

Trouble is, once you have read somewhere that something should be visable in a scope like yours it's darned hard to look dispassionately :D

I'd still rather blame the seeing conditions or my observing skills than the scope - I suspect they are much more variable than optical quality is these days !.

John

Many thanks for your replies, not what I was hoping to hear but at least I will not be looking for the unobtainable.

MEMO TO SELF Stop reading Cloudy Nights' road tests.

Regards

Dave Cooke

Many thanks for your replies, not what I was hoping to hear but at least I will not be looking for the unobtainable.

MEMO TO SELF Stop reading Cloudy Nights' road tests.

Regards

Dave Cooke

Don't worry Dave - I think we've all been there at some time or other :D

At least you have found yourself a good dealer and hopefully a scope you will enjoy :D

Look forward to hearing about your observing on SGL - clouds allowing that is !.

Johhn