Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

jason.p

Excited astronomers.

On a news channel this morning they had an item on the M82 supernova, which they said, had got amateur astronomers excited. This appeared to cause some amusement among the presenters who were wondering what "excited amateur astronomers" would look like. Is that really the image we project, and is it justified? <br />

(Thinking about it, we must seem like a pretty nerdy bunch to the public at large)<br />

<br />

<br />

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk<br />

<br />

Well, I'm a nerd and proud of it. Even my kids call me a nerd. I really don't mind!

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 8

i can't repeat what my kids call me, but as they're early teens, i'm sure you can imagine  :grin:

They think we all look like the open university professors on tv in the 70s all tank tops and beards which by the way is the cool look these days according to my kids:-)

Nothing wrong with being a nerd! Yes I'm also a nerd and proud of it!

you can always spot an excited astronomer by the wobbly stars on their subs as they jump up and down too near their scopes...

• Like 4

IMO it's a pity more of the populace aren't a bit more interested instead of spending  wasting time on the latest celeb. headlines. Nothing wrong with having a hobby where you actually have to think.

I couldn't care less what others think of my hobbies. I once went early to visit the small grassy area on the centre of a large roundabut to photograph roosting orange-tip butterflies. set my tripod up low (cuckoo flower level) and got on my hands and knees to take some great shots. an our or so and several beeps later and I went home happy.

• Like 2

I suppose all hobbies/pastimes when broken down seem strange to non participants. Sitting on a river bank all day just to catch one fish, then putting it straight back. Knocking a little ball around trying to get it in a little hole............. etc etc etc! <br />

Whereas like others I don't really care what people think, perhaps a more positive public perception would help in issues such as street lighting. I think programmes like SGL help enormously to raise our profile, but comments like those on that news item don't really help.<br />

<br />

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk<br />

<br />

I have tattooed arms, and when I tell people I'm "into" Astronomy they look at me as if I have two heads :grin:

I suppose people have preconceptions and stereotypical ideas (gained from whatever source) which they seem to apply to a majority of any particular group of like-minded people...

I'd say I'm a geek in many ways (love of science, stargazing, computer games, reading aplenty etc) but if you looked at me I doubt anyone would say I'm a geek, I hate labels anyway, but I understand what a lot of people think a geek looks like and I don't look like one in terms of physical appearance; I have tattoos and piercings and dress 'indie' style, if anything people call me a hippy more often than anything else... and I'm excited about the supernova in M82.

P.S I don't care what others think of my hobbies or passions either; doesn't bother me at all. They're the ones missing out on amazing stuff...

• Like 3

When people ask me what I like to do in my spare time I proudly announce to them the following.

a) Read books (non-fiction on the whole & very very rarely a G.Orwell or similar).  This also includes instruction manuals on anything, its not that I hunt them down its just if one happens to be there I pick them up read them and think I could have written that manual much clearer than that and I don't even know or own the item the manual was written for.

Haynes manuals are cool to me the pictures are brilliant.

B) I like to 'make' music by the use of modular synth sizers (by this time people are frowning and trying to walk away)

c) I also tell them I like astronomy because its about everything we are made of and where we are going back to (by this time they have left the building uttering something I can't     hear but I carry on regardless).

That said, sometimes someone comes on the journey (or part of one of the journeys with me) and sees what it like to be whatever other label is all as.  Its fun when this happens.

I love being a ...............  (fill in any word you want here please)

If I'm honest I'd have to say that I don't care what they say they are the ones that are missing out  

• Like 1

I'm far from a nerd and in my younger yrs was classed as the complete opposite but to be honest .....Nerd or not....,I don't think there is anything as special as wanting to find out what is out there and why infact we assume one is a nerd and one is not.......humans are ace but they are just complicated creatures!!

Bungielad

I do what I want, when I want, how I want, unless the Mrs says otherwise :grin:

• Like 2

Yep, I do what I like and like what I do, until Mrs.C catches up with me,

Nick.

• Like 1

Excited? Like kids in a sweet shop... ;)

Surely almost anyone would be  excited by the fact that you can see an exploding star in a galaxy that is so far away that the light has taken 12 million years to get here. It's exciting to think what it must have been like in that galaxy and what the effects were..... and is there now a civilisation observing their equivalent of the Crab nebula and noting the huge supernova that must have happened.

if being excited by that is being a nerd, then i count myself as a fully paid up member of Nerds not-so- Anonymous !!

• Like 2

They think we all look like the open university professors on tv in the 70s all tank tops and beards which by the way is the cool look these days according to my kids:-)

Tank top....check.

Beard....check.

OU professor....hmm, well I do have an OU degree, does that count?

:D

In our case, the 'excited astronomers' (me and the OH) were so noisy in the back garden that the oldest daughter woke up - to be honest, she knew we were going looking for it so probably hadn't been asleep at all.  Then she was so excited, she went to wake her little sister, who was pretty excited too (if a little sleepy).  Guess that makes us a family of nerds then  :grin:

Bit like this maybe? :p

post-539-0-23035300-1390749308.jpg

Source: Sony Pictures / Aardman

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 3

I doubt I help myself out too much in the image front either ....  When people find out I'm in to chess and brass band music, and Mahler symphonies, all in a fairly serious way!  The amateur astronomer side to me comes across as the most 'normal' of my interests I think!!! :D  Hoping very much though to see the SN in M82 ....  I've never seen a supernova before ....  Got to be a special thing ...  No laughing matter! :) 

Donaldo

Who cares what other people think?  I'm just pleased that I have a passion for astronomy as well as other interests.  I know people who have so little apparent interest in anything other than the mundane things of life, I wonder why they bother to get up in the morning!

• Like 1

Don't forget the media and journalism is generally populated by Arts graduates who are for the most part, science illiterate and can't conceive of something as remote as a supernova exciting anybody.

If it doesn't involve some 'human interest' or politics they aren't really interested and think those that are must be odd types.