Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observing sunspots

cosmosboy

Guys is it safe to point binocular at sun when sun is just risen or just about to set ? I have done so twice within a couple of days . both times i saw 2 black spots ( dots ) on its surface . i assume they are sunspots .

But websites say it is not safe to do so  even during sunrise or sunset , but i did not feel any trouble or harm to eyes . so i need to know the true fact . please help :Envy:

binocular used - celestron skymaster 15x70

Well i did so when sun was at 2 degree or 3 degree altitude . it was damn red , so beautiful .  and the sky was not totally transparent as it is winter .

and i liked the fact that those spots were at different positions both times . yeah i am considering to get a solar filter .

Please do , it only takes a moment of ill judgment and a sudden break in the cloud and you will be permanently damaged.

Also the amount of IR light getting to your eyes is undiminished by the atmosphere and will be damaging without you even realising it.

You will also get a much better view of the surface detail later in the day , after the Sun has risen well above the horizon eliminating the worst of the atmospheric disturbance that spoils the view at sunrise/sunset ...  :laugh:

yeah but i do not own a solar filter now and i was not using any type of filter . i just wanted to peek at sun through bino out of curiosity . so i ensured to point it at the sun when it is much less bright .

Archived