SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What Scope to buy next

Evening fellow star gazers,

I have a Sky-watcher evo star 120 on an eq3-2 mount. This is a really nice scope and I have had much fun with it (when the clear nights allow).

However, I have small children running around and am unable to leave my scope assembled due to it being quite large, them running around my small house like small kiddies do. I'm looking to down size to something smaller and easier and quicker to set up (as I have to Assemble and dismantle it completely every time I want to use it)

Now..... My question to the community is, With a budget of around £500 what scope could I buy?  I'm open to all suggestions.

I need something as, if not more powerful than what I already own..

Thanks Star followers

I would have suggested a WO Megrez 90, except for the minor fact they stopped producing them quite a few years back.

Sure that TS do/did one similar, but not there presently.

I am guessing that 80mm would be too much of a size downgrade but 100mm too close to 120mm.

They don't appear on the used market often so really little in looking, maybe an ad on Buy&Sell may turn up someone thinking of selling.

TS do advertise the WO Megrez 88, which is close but the cost is above £500. I would check by email and phone calls that they can actually get one first. They are also an old WO scope and I am surprised to see them there. I do  not recall W.

Mainly it will depend on the size you are willing/happy to drop to.

I would have suggested a WO Megrez 90, except for the minor fact they stopped producing them quite a few years back.

Sure that TS do/did one similar, but not there presently.

I am guessing that 80mm would be too much of a size downgrade but 100mm too close to 120mm.

They don't appear on the used market often so really little in looking, maybe an ad on Buy&Sell may turn up someone thinking of selling.

TS do advertise the WO Megrez 88, which is close but the cost is above £500. I would check by email and phone calls that they can actually get one first. They are also an old WO scope and I am surprised to see them there. I do  not recall W.

Mainly it will depend on the size you are willing/happy to drop to.

Thanks I will look into these. I'm looking at all possibilities so it doesn't have to be a refractor.

Ya sry mate. If you're imaging then you need what Moonshane suggested. In that case you can go really small and get a 66ED refractor. Or spend the money on a good APO camera lens and just attach your camera to the mount. Theres also the Astrotrac which is very compact and light. 

It Depends what kind of imaging you are doing?  Deepsky or Planetary.

Something like this: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/omni-xlt-series/celestron-omni-xlt-127.html

It will go a little over Budget adding the dual axis tracking motor to it, what you'll need for imaging. But it's really compact compared to the Evostar 120. Excellent for Planetary imaging.

In fact, scratch that. You already have the EQ3-2 Mount (With tracking motor upgrade I assume as you said you are imaging?). So you can just buy the XLT 127 OTA for a lot less.

But if you do deepsky mainly.... then a small apo refractor is an option too. Like this:  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/equinox/skywatcher-equinox-66-apo-pro-ota.html

It should fit on your EQ3-2 Mount, so saving Money.

Tho, the EQ3-2 Mount isn't really suited for deepsky, due to the fact you can't guide on that Mount. Only the Pro GoTo Version has that: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq3-pro-synscan-goto.html

So then the XLT 127 OTA from Celestron would be the better option for planetary imaging. as it doesn't require precise tracking With guiding.

6 or 8 sct they are compact and probably niot to different from you 120. Potentially brighter for deep sky and with more resolution on planets but not so sharp or contrasty. Mind you a HD could be sharp and flat.

Can I have first dibs on your 120?

Yes, but then he would need a New heavier Mount as well. Blowing way past his 500 Budget. Unless someone is putting up a C6 / C8 - CG5 combo up for sale second hand for a reasonable price.

Thanks everyone.

Some varied answers which gives me Lots to think about. I like the idea of a locked box tho :)

May have to bite the bullet save a bit longer and up the budget, or buy a new mount and then a scope..

Yes, but then he would need a New heavier Mount as well. Blowing way past his 500 Budget. Unless someone is putting up a C6 / C8 - CG5 combo up for sale second hand for a reasonable price.

A new C6 is 519 pounds and would sit nicely on an EQ3. An old EQ5 can be found for next to nothing really. Second hand and trading the 120 and mount is the way to go.

Trouble is it can be a waiting game.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so my budget has doubled due to me selling some other things of mine. Which means I now have to upgrade :icon_bounce:.

So which is the better route. Do I buy this, http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-pro-heq5-pro.html or do I keep my 120 and go this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-neq6-pro-synscan.html? Given that I'm to stick with my hobby for the future I say buy the mount but then again I would also like a smaller refractor!!

I have just purchased a Skywatcher 80ED Pro and HEQ5 Pro Synscan at Astrofest for £1078. This is intended as a dedicated astrophotography set up. I'd recommend First Light Optics. They were fantastic and hugely helpful. If you do it now you get the Astrofest 10% discount. If not the package is bundled together at £1190 on their web site. I've had lots of great feedback about this set up and the tube isn't too cumbersome.

Hope that helps if you're not already committed

Thanks cepheus42. I made my mind up and I'm going to go for the neq6 just have to save a little longer for the scope. I figure that at some point I'm going to want to attach a guide scope and maybe a newt in later life.

Archived