Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another M82 imaging thread 23/1/14

tich

After an interesting journey to the dark site I got there at around 7:00 & set up. Orion was looking amazing although I couldn't make out the Milky Way. I got the 250P set up & did an alignment slewed the scope to M82 & managed a brief look at it which was quite literally seconds before getting totally clouded out. After some choice words I sat in the car & drank some coffee while watching some muppet in a car driving around shining a spotlight across the field. After they shone it in my general direction a second time I erm politely told them to go away which they did lol. Anyway I waited until around 8:45 & the clouds started to lift so without further hesitation I set up the camera on the scope with the Coma corrector as I thought it would be a good idea to try it out but I couldn't achieve focus with it. So more choice words were mumbled & I ended up setting up the scope without it only to find that the collimation looked way out when trying to focus on a star.  I tried correcting it but it was still way out. I checked the camera only to find it wasn't sitting flush so not sure how I managed that. After correcting it & adjusting the collimation as best as I could as I didn't want to waste time as with battling clouds & showers earlier.

Anyway I have finished processing them & this is what I got of the Supernova. Pity about the stars being a bit egg shaped but with the unpredictable conditions plus being tired this is about as good as it gets.

63 1 minute subs & 22 darks using a modified Canon 1000D & 250P

1618609_10151955255738434_2115017872_n.j

1620746_10151955257898434_345249907_n.jp

You still did well to get an image, I also managed another session on SN2014J on thursday.  I also imaged it on sunday though I didn't know what it was then.   :)

post-31009-0-89419300-1390661888_thumb.j

I am in the same area as you and was too swearing at the clouds, luckily they stayed away from my view of Ursa Major :)

• 2 weeks later...

I managed another session on M81, M82 last night and its a lot brighter at or near its peak?

attachicon.gifm81m82SN.02.02.14.jpg

72x30s subs, darks, bias and flats

I managed to get out on Sunday night too although it was quite breezy at the dark site so imaging with the newt didn't go to well but I managed to pull out something at least so I made up a video of what I captured including a timelapse. At least I still managed to get M81 & M82 too.

There is an improvement where I go but there is a better all round view there as there's no buildings directly in the way unlike at home where there's houses trees & more light pollution to contend with. I tend to go there nowadays rather than at home plus with meeting others there too makes it interesting.

Archived