SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

can i use PHD or EQAlign with a CG3/EQ2??

c3po

Not entirely sure if this is the right place for this post, but it is with relation to setting up for basic prime focus AP with a dslr...

I have a celestron 130eq on an EQ2/CG3 mount and have been able to drift align, albeit not entirely accurately, as before i lacked an ra motor that tracked at sidereal speeds (it was a basic dc motor). I now have one thanks to AstroTux diy build and have tried again to drift align my scope with it, but still my accuracy could do with some assistance to allow some long exposure AP without the blurring or small star trails I'm still getting.

Now, before I get told my scope is useless for prime focus AP for dso's, I'll save the abuse and admit I know that I could do better for my needs, but could equally do much worse (Seben anyone?). I have what I have, and I will battle with it, and get what I can out of it, before I really do need to upgrade. Until then, I'd really like to get this working as best I can.

I've read about EQAlign and PHD as softwares for webcam drift alignment that uses just the 'scopes RA drive motor and a webcam in the OTA to align correctly the scope for AP.

Is it feasible that this software could be of any use for my needs? I understand it's primarily for GoTo scopes, but if I manually start/stop the RA drive as needed and adjust the latitude and azimuth settings manually, could it work?

Thanks in advance for any help you can throw my way!

I don' see any reason why it wouldn't be possible to use either program to help you polar align. According to the Eqalign website http://eqalign.net/e_eqalign.html a computerised mount isn't required, but desirable.

Cornelius, many thanks for your help. I had thought  this was the case, but most of the documentation for both applications refer to pressing the "E" or "W" buttons, i assume this means causing the mount to slew Est or West respectively? If so, i can do this manually with my RA Drive control pad.

However the manuals for both also discuss stopping the RA drive completly, the only way i could do this (at present) is to pull the power from it, not ideal i guess, but it will suffice for drift alignment.

I note that both say they will work with any WDM compatible webcam, but would the like of an xbox webcam or ASDAcam be sensitive enought for reference stars to drift align with?

Archived