Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Could This Be The First Amateur Image of Sn2014j in m82?

morimarty

Hi all

i would really like to know if anybody imaged the supernova in m82 before the image I've attached below. The Image is a single 900 second exposure bin 2x2 with an atik 314l+ using a baader 7nm Ha filter. the Fits header recorded a time and date of ( 2014-01-20-T01.52.10) So pre discovery and I missed it. My excuse is, that I was collecting some RGB on the crab nebula when the moon rise stopped play. So decided to have a look at my next project M82 in Ha. I managed to set up guiding and then imaged two off 900 sec images before the clouds rolled in and put pay to that session Laptop lid slammed shut the rest is history.

post-11370-0-90126600-1390550582_thumb.j

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The images you took could still be very important in the study of the supernova. CBAT are requesting that any pre-discovery information is sent to them as it could be critical in understanding the behaviour of the event. I think the details for submission are here - http://www.cbat.eps.harvard.edu/DiscoveryInfo.html and note they don't particularly need the images, just info regarding magnitudes and so on.

Thanks for the comments everyone they are very much appreciated as always. @ Cath I'm pleased to report my lappy is still working fine just a bit of TLC needed :grin:  @ Marc thanks for this link I will certainly look into this. @ Paul Thankyou very much indeed, :BangHead:  Seriously though you have to take your hat off to Koichi Itagaki, he just does not miss a thing. Just on a side note I can see the attraction off supernova patrolling it must be a very exciting hobby!

I was lucky enough to image this on 19/01 at 19:08. Being only my second time imaging this object, I thought that it may have been a foreground star that didn't show on my first (poor) effort. From now on I shall be more vigilant

I was lucky enough to image this on 19/01 at 19:08. Being only my second time imaging this object, I thought that it may have been a foreground star that didn't show on my first (poor) effort. From now on I shall be more vigilant it wasn't until I read an article on a Facebook page that I realized what I'd captured! Sure made me pretty excited to have a pre discovery image

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Hi Damien

Congrats on imaging the supernova Pre Discovery, you and me both will learn to be more vigilant from this experiance!

Congratulations Damien and Martyn on capturing pre discovery images of SN 2014J. I can share with your excitement as I have images of it from the 20th (http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/206101-bright-supernova-in-m82/#entry2187099). It's amazing to think that someone with a small backyard telescope could discover this sort of thing  :cool:  .

Note that vigilance is not necessarily all you need....... I took my images of M82 just before packing up as I had an early rise the next day and as a result didn't look at them until the 22nd. When comparing my latest efforts with previous images I quickly spotted the new star-like object. I got really excited thinking there was a definite chance it was a supernova, but some Googling quickly brought me back down to Earth as I realised that it had been reported the day before :rolleyes2: . Despite this my "eureka!" moment will be long remembered.

Thanks Space Ranger, Congrats to you too, I read that these things don't come by very often.  I wonder how many people are kicking themselves.  I sort of am now, after a few days reflection.  Damn it, I even had it set as my smartphone wallpaper! (how funny is that?!)  I came in from work on tuesday and sat down to scan through facebook when I came across the post about a SN in M82.  I thought "thats what I was imaging the other night!" So I closed down facebook and there it was on my homepage background... 

On the other side of the coin though, I'm very happy to have stumbled across this after only 10months of taking up this marvelous past time and feel quite privileged to have this in my growing collection of images and just glad I was looking at the right place at the right time. :)

After reading all this i realised that i was imaging bodes nebula on the 19th so i went through the images again and i do believe that there is the supanova in M82. The image was taken on the 19th at 20.13 hrs so fairly early on i think. Sorry for the poor image i still have a lot (and i mean a lot) to learn when it comes to imaging and dragging the best out of an image.

Any way here it is i think?

post-23328-0-45582900-1390746741_thumb.j

it does appear that quite a few of us have captured Pre Discovery images so congrats to all.@ Dave the image I captured had only a light stretch and a bit of smoothing applied in pixinsite no sharpening etc. I should have mentioned that my image was captured @FL 2151 F7.7 through a C11xlt. Regarding photoshop I do have the old ps7 version but thats on a old XP computer. I now have a new win8 computer but it wont let me install ps7 on it.

After reading all this i realised that i was imaging bodes nebula on the 19th so i went through the images again and i do believe that there is the supanova in M82. The image was taken on the 19th at 20.13 hrs so fairly early on i think. Sorry for the poor image i still have a lot (and i mean a lot) to learn when it comes to imaging and dragging the best out of an image.

Any way here it is i think?

attachicon.gifbodes nebula.jpg

Is this just one sub or is it stacked? You should sent me it/them (if you still have all the subs if you have multiple) I kinda want to mess around and see what I can do!

This is a stack . I took  around 30 images of 10 @ 30 sec 10 @ 60 sec & 10 @ 90sec. I stacked them in DSS so i can let you have the stack or the lights no problem, just not sure how to make them available?

I'd prefer the lights, possibly somewhere like Google Drive? You could throw em into a zip folder and upload that to drive, or maybe Dropbox... If thats too huge of a file then the stack would be okay.

Also, a few things to look for in DSS.

First, it looks like your reds are higher than your green/blues, which is probably caused by them being unaligned in the histogram/rgb tab of DSS (after it stacks everything it brings the stack up for you to edit). You want to make sure they're all aligned on top of each other on the histogram (that graph to the right of the sliders). That should make sure the image is black/white until you bring the saturation up. You'll move them by dragging the middle slider of each. Now, you want them to be over the bottom ish of the curved line of the graph, other than that just try to play with it to bring out as much detail without washing out the image too too much.

Now, you can switch to the next tab. If your image looks washed out (not enough contrast), then you'll want to play with the mid tones, and usually make the curve more steep on the graph (little adjustments here, play around to see what works). Then, you can also try to play with the darks and highlights, but those don't usually make AS MUCH of an impact on the image. Just play around to see what does what.

Next, you can play with saturation. You should have some pretty decent color with that much exposure time and that many subs, so you can try bringing it up to like 20-35, anything past that and it will just look bad. Play around to see what looks good. From here, it's time to head into Photoshop/Lightroom, which is a whole nother beast, but that should get you started and at least get your image looking decent!

I'd prefer the lights, possibly somewhere like Google Drive? You could throw em into a zip folder and upload that to drive, or maybe Dropbox... If thats too huge of a file then the stack would be okay.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/918ui4uzvq9ei79/UuRQBcFeMr

Hopefully this should link to the lights. Sorry if this is hijacking the thread. Mods please feel free to move it if it is.

Thanks

Archived