Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HELP! Guiding Now Trouble!

Astrosurf

I'm tying to guide using PHD and it keeps saying the star is not moving enough. I'm not on a hot pixel. This has been happening lately. I've increased my calibration steps and ensured my leads are all connected well. What's happening?!!!

Alexxx

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ST4 I think??? it's a finder-guider with a QHY5. There are numbers on the status bar but they mean nothing to me! I've reduced the min motion pixels in the brain option to 0.20 hoping that would help.

Now a band of clouds has move over. Only a small one but, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it's been getting worse over time, I'd be looking at replacing the ST4 cable and seeing if that sorts the issue. I've got through a few cables in my time, both ST4 and EQDIR - It starts off as total unreliability and little explanation as to what is going wrong. Ends in a lack of communication to the mount in any way.

Alex,

You need to increase the calibration steps and MAX RA foruse with short focal length scopes.  I use an ST80 with teh Qhy5 and mine are in the region of 2750ms steps... I'm guiding now but when stopped I'll post up my calibration settings later

Edit:

Clouds coming in now so I'll call it a day - here's my settings

And a screen grab of it in action whilst capturing subs on the supernova

post-10726-0-74970600-1390509968.png

post-10726-0-51052700-1390510430_thumb.p

I'm now having to image unguided. I can do 45 secs OK so have increased the ISO to 3200. I know it'll be noisy but if I take enough I hope I can process some out. I'm doing M81 and M82 for the SN.

Thanks for your help guys. I think I might need one-to-one if this carries on!

Alexx,

Reset everything back to default as you had it before, except change the calibration steps to 2000 and see how that fairs.

Guiding can be a pain in the proverbial, one target works fine then the next is all over the place.  This normally suggests that the scope is either not Polar aligned, out of balance, binding (gears or cables) or all the above !

You also might want to increase the exposure to 1.5s if the calibration step is 2 seconds or more.  This will also make the stars more prominent so you can move the slider to get a darker background, which helps PHD detect the movement

Thanks Malcolm. I'm using my 200P 1000mm FL.

That's the FL of your 200P.  But you are using your finder as the guidescope which has a much shorter focal length, hence the need to increase the calibration step settings

Archived