Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Single shot orion nebula

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea I built the wedge myself.  Non adjustable so I use to tripod to get aligned and make sure the latitude of my wedge says 41 degrees with an angle finder and make sure I am level.  I could not get more then 30 seconds with the shots as I was not aligned well enough.  I had 7 pics that I had stacked but the image was floating down in my view screen the whole time and images didn't go together that well and shows trailing around the outside edges.  Ill take some pics of my cheap mount next time I am out and post. 

And this is not eyepiece setup as stated before this is prime focus my fault.

Thanks.  I am working on getting the scope aligned better so I think tonight will be learn the drift align process in the cold lol.  Like 7 degrees out last night.  I had snowmobile boots on and two pairs of socks and still I was frozen.  So was my scope.  I got some frost build up and that's where the red color comes from in my last picture.  I think 2 min exp.

I use my telescope at the lens actually.  Get a T-ring adapter for your T3i.  Also what kind of scope do you have?  If it is anything like my 6SE SCT you will also need a focal reducer to fit more objects in to your view.  Also to help a little bit with exposure times.

Excuse my ignorance I am a complete beginner with AP, I dont currently have a telescope, yet anyway! I was just go8ng to start with a few moon shots ect... and pick everyone's brains before buying the scope

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Good way to start.  Id get a nice sturdy tripod point it up at the sky with a few different lenses and see what times you can get with different iso settings and not wash the image out too much and not get too much star trailing.  If you have wide angle lenses you can try a wideview shot. 

I am a total newbie myself when It comes to AP, but I think I have a good basic start to imaging.  Getting my scope drift aligned and holding the image in a high magnification now is a different story lol.  Practice practice practice. 

Very nice images keep up the good work.

+1 on focal reducer will speed light capture

+1 on Deepskystacker, try more alignment stars %

+1 on t-ring, eyepiece is reducing light

Ingenious on the wooden wedge!

Just a thought on your drift, UK latitude is 51. Check your lat and is your tripod bubble level?

Good stuff keep it up

I did screw up this last time and not level my tripod before I set everything on top of it.  I did a polar align on rigel and adjusted the tripod, so I missed one step.  Ill make sure of this next time.  For a drift align, I need to also learn which adjustment to make when I see the star drift certain directions.  I am 41 degrees where I am at in Colorado. 

Some simple propcessing would help. Two key things jump out.

1) The black point.

2) Colour balance.

They are related. If you have Photoshop or similar, have a look at the histogram (Open Levels) in each colour.

The top left of the peak should line up in each colour channel. To adjust them, take the colour with the peak furthest to the right and drag the left hand slider to the right until the relevant peak lines up. Try not to clip off more than you need. 

Then when the colours are balanced you can go to RGB in levels and maybe clip a little more off the left hand side, but don't be too aggressive. The night sky isn't jet black.

levels%20aligning-L.jpg

Olly

Archived