Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Interesting product over on the Optical Vision Facebook page

IanL

Looks cheap in Silver  :(

The silver one was probably a beta model photographed for publicity purposes. The models enroute to the UK and Germany are all Red. Things may be different in other countries (Skywatcher's distributors choose the colour). 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will also  be interested to see how it performs...

Certainly looks the part :)

Peter...

I remember some of us were discussing the new Star Adventurer at SGL9 Peter. Your mate asked if he could borrow one for an SGL review. If he contacts us we'll send him one as soon as they arrive :smiley:

Steve 

He's the right man for the job.. has the camera gear and lenses to really push it :)

You better give him a nudge.... I guess we are both talking about the same person..?

If it is I trust his reviews - but he has cost me a lot of money over the last few years  - but I did get my own back with the 5DMkIII :)

Peter...

It will be interesting to see how it compares With the Astrotrac both is size/weight and performance ... I originally went for an EQ3 Pro instead of the Astrotrac because it came with everything to get you going - mI eventually did get an Astrotrac when the possibility of a bit of travelling was on the horizon but it didn't happen.. I Swapped my EQ3 Pro for nice shinny bit's to go with an EQ6 but find it too much effort to lug around and setup ...

That'd be a bit of an unfair comparison, TBH. The Astrotrac and wedge is twice the cost, and it's drive system is based on something with, IIRC, a 400mm wheel.

It's peers would be the Vixen Polarie and the iOptron Sky Tracker

I know what I meant ;):)

I was never an advocate of the Astrotrac which needed a significant investment in essential accessories to get the most out for it...

The Astrotrac wins on portability (and max load)   but not IMHO VFM...

Peter....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I agree with Peter most of the real portable setups require a lot of additional expense to get them to truely grab and go status I wil stick with my EQ3-2 for the time being it ticks most of my boxes but the adventurer does look like it has significant advantages.

Alan

I am sure we are :smiley:

With the Star Adventurer being so new it will be good to have someone with experience kick it's tyres. 

Why not, we can also rely on that persons Unbaised opinion as well, were all for reviews which are unbiased, and there's me thinking that Tommy Nawratil's video was just fake video preview... Gee Whizz !!!!

Just to prove I do actually own an Astrotrac... Although not with the standard kit geared head and ball and socket head as I needed more capacity for some of my "Glass"....

Astrotrac%20Setup.jpg

Although I have stopped using the 055XPROB with it as the meachanism for allowing the column to switch between vertical and horizontal is a major source of flex with anything much more than a 200mm lens on it..

And have used it....

Astrotrac%20Sadr%2038x60s%20ISO400%20BCF

Peter...

He's the right man for the job.. has the camera gear and lenses to really push it :)

You better give him a nudge.... I guess we are both talking about the same person..?

If it is I trust his reviews - but he has cost me a lot of money over the last few years  - but I did get my own back with the 5DMkIII :)

Photosbykev has agreed to review the Skywatcher Star Adventurer :smiley: 

Steve

Just to prove I do actually own an Astrotrac... Although not with the standard kit geared head and ball and socket head as I needed more capacity for some of my "Glass"....

Astrotrac%20Setup.jpg

Although I have stopped using the 055XPROB with it as the meachanism for allowing the column to switch between vertical and horizontal is a major source of flex with anything much more than a 200mm lens on it..

And have used it....

Astrotrac%20Sadr%2038x60s%20ISO400%20BCF

Peter...

That's a helluva lens image...

Olly

It was with the Canon 50/1.8 EF II the cheapo Nifty 50 at f2.8 using the thirds focusing method 

You would be surprised, Peter, how many supposedly flat-field refractors benefit from the same approach to achieve acceptable star points across the full field of view. 

Steve 

It does look very classy in red. I'm not sure if I should review it or put it on a shelf as a piece of art :) I'lve also got a new Anker 20Ahr power pack which should work very nicely with it

Looking foreward to the review will be interesting how the internal AA batteries hold out too.

Alan

looks like a great product

flo parts idea: making adaptor plates to get that wedge to fit the astrotrac/polarie, and suddenly it doesn't cost an extra £200-300 for a geared head to get one of those systems up and running...

looks like a great product

flo parts idea: making adaptor plates to get that wedge to fit the astrotrac/polarie, and suddenly it doesn't cost an extra £200-300 for a geared head to get one of those systems up and running...

just add a cheap dovetail with a camera thread on it and the Adventurer wedge could fit most trackers

• 2 weeks later...

Small hiccup regarding the new Skywatcher Sky Adventurer bundle

We will be dispatching bundles next week but the counterweight and shaft (necessary for larger payloads) will follow some time in August. My colleague Martin is updating customers as I type. 

This applies to all UK retailers (also SGL's German members will find their retailers are similarly affected). 

HTH, 

Steve 

skywatcher_star_adventurer_counterweight

Archived