Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Supernova in M82

Helen

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm going to give up on this one and wait for the next. I can't even find the galaxy.  :huh:

With a goto scope ????? you must be doing something radically wrong !! - If you are using your  10" I would of though the galaxies would jump out at you !

True enough, but I got both galaxies last night in 15x50 binos from near Heathrow. NELM was around 4.5. The SN was not visible but a 10" should definitely show M82, even if it might not jump out at you as Michael says.<br />

<br />

Stu

With a goto scope ????? you must be doing something radically wrong !! - If you are using your  10" I would of though the galaxies would jump out at you !

My thoughts exactly. I still haven't had the dob out yet. Waiting for a night when it warms up just enough to make it worthwhile

After aligning the goto, Slewing to Jupiter, M42, 45 and 31 was no problem. All were almost dead on in the EP. Told it to go to M82 and yea, nothing. 

Just managed to find it today.

Took me a about 2 hours , they really are faint fuzzies here (probably because of all the light pollution). The telrad arrived today and I've gotta say that without it I wouldn't have stood a chance.
That said , I'm proper chuffed - my first two galaxies and my first supernova all in one night.

*Happy dance*

I know I said I was going to give up trying to find it. After work tonight the sky was quite clear so I was planning on trying to improve my imaging of Jupiter. After alignment I thought what the heck and punched in M82. Looked through the ep and there it was! Not as spectacular as I was hoping but it was pretty neat seeing something that happened millions of years ago. Plus I was able to finally nab M81 as well. Not bad for someone who gave up a few days ago. Guess the 4th time was the charm!  :grin:

Well done Matt, never give up, just try harder.  I have found M82 by looking for M81 first it is easier to see.  M81 shows up in my finder/guider (camera) as a small fuzzy blob, but M82 doesn't even register.

Robin

Managed a pic of it last week about mag 10, think I read somewhere it's supposed to get brighter, break in the [removed word]  weather forecast for tommorrow but you might as well use a crystal ball as the BBC weather. :)

Dave

It's got to clear up soon. It's been solid cloud here for ages.

I'd love to see this SN as I know where to look for it having viewed this galaxy before.

Anyone any idea how much longer it will be visible to the naked eye for please?

D.C

I managed to get the camera and the AstroTrac out for a couple of hours last night. I managed to get about 8 half decent subs. Most were deleted due to cloud, the dog beating her tail agaist the tripod, and in one occasion the telephoto lens losing the fight against gravity and sliding back from 300mm to 100mm.

M82 is way beyond the resolving power of my poor little 300mm camera lens, but even so I have got a smear of a galaxy with a bright dot of a supernova in it.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Here we go, now where near as good as many others, but I am still so chuffed to have captured my first supernova.

get.jpg

As I do not have a telescope yet, it is a tight crop of a 300mm camera lens shot. cropped from 5000x3000 down to 1500x1000, so about a quarter of the standard image width. I think I have gone way past where a £60 zoom lens is supposed to take you ;)

Was under dark skies over the weekend.  It was clearly visible though my 92mm TMB refractor.

Also viewed through a 22" dobsonian.  An obvious colour difference to the nearby star.  Yellowy/golden.  Don't now if this an attribute of the SN or caused by dust in M82.

Cheers

Paul

Was under dark skies over the weekend.  It was clearly visible though my 92mm TMB refractor.

Also viewed through a 22" dobsonian.  An obvious colour difference to the nearby star.  Yellowy/golden.  Don't now if this an attribute of the SN or caused by dust in M82.

Cheers

Paul

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SN_2014J#Properties

:)

Archived