Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Supernova in M82

Helen

Hi,

Thought I would have a go last night, but my scope was playing up, so didn't get chance to start my imaging run until after 11pm and the cloud rolled in at midnight.  I got 11 subs @ 180s ISO1600 with a Canon 600D and C11, stacking 8 of them to get this image.  I would have used ISO800, but the exposure time would have been way too long to get more than a couple of images.  I will have another go with my CCD next clear night.

Robin

M82-SN-23-1-14-stack8-180s-iso1600-1b.jp

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Thought I would have a go last night, 

So did I but didn't see it.  Spent too much time on Orion and the clouds came as predicted.  But doubt I'd have found it so big thanks for a great foto.  If that is what you get with your scope playing up can't wait for your next one.  

But I'm not sure you guys are getting this right.  If you look closely at your photo you can make out a Klingon ship decloaking and firing a photon topedo :rolleyes: 

Coats already on. 

If that is what you get with your scope playing up can't wait for your next one.  

But I'm not sure you guys are getting this right.  If you look closely at your photo you can make out a Klingon ship decloaking and firing a photon topedo :rolleyes: 

Coats already on.

I should say that once the problems were ironed out my scope performed as it should do, just lost all that time messing about. I see what you mean about a Klingon ship, perhaps it was shooting at me, that might explain the hole in the centre of my scope and a small wisp of smoke coming from my Canon, just joking.

Robin

I had another look at this tonight in my 200p.

It seems to have brightened a bit since friday and is maybe at mag 10.7 with my minimum visual mag of 12.2. It was visible with direct vision whereas on friday it was averted vision only.

Cheers

I reckoned about 10.5 this evening but we are close enough   :smiley:

It's the brightest SN I've observed so far. 

Due to work tonight was my first chance , clouds cleared about 22.00 . M81 and M82 very nice at 24mm the sn easily visible with direct vision. Stoke on Trent skies better than expected.

Well chuffed.....

as it seems our milky way galaxy is overdue a S.N , and with this news of one being spotted in m82 ,its got me wondering .

can /will we see a S.N in our own galaxy no matter where it happens. im probably showing a complete lack of knowledge now ,but could one on the other side of the milky way  be obscured by dark matter ,or our line of sight being obstructed by the central core .

please by gentle if its a ridiculous query.   :grin:

I was wondering about that too. Maybe all that dust between us and the other half of the Milky Way could hide such an event to visible light at least..

It should be visible in 20x80's if you know where to look. A bit more magnification does help you to be sure that you are seeing it though. 

I've just picked it up with my 4" refractor @ 83x. Not great conditions but I reckon the magnitude of the SN was about the same as last night - around 10.5.

Thats the 1st SN that's been bright enough to see with my little 4" Vixen  :smiley:

Seeing all these posts made me determined to try to get a record of this - and finally the rain stopped and clouds rolled away for long enough to set up and get the camera out.

My before and after shot. A bit of a close crop, and so rather blurry, but it'll remind me of my first SN so I'm happy.

SN2014j in M82, before and after

Fingers crossed there's  another clear night to have another go, but the forecast for the south east is looking a bit grim over the next few days. Where are all the crisp, dark winter nights I was imagining back in the twilight of summer!
C.

just wanted to add I love the images people are posting, I am a visual astronomer and managed tonight to see this fantastic event. Given the crazy weather I had all but given up any chance of observing this SN, but amazingly tonight in Northants as I walked the dog on the late shift I noticed the clouds disappearing. So straight back home open the POD quick alt-az alignment on Sirius and Capella then slew over to M82, hmmmm not too accurate on the alignments, bit of a search around and there it was , very chuffed , started with a 23mm eye piece then down to 20mm vixen LV and really enjoyed the short session as clouds started to roll back in . Very pleased to see this like everyone else. the forum posts. Just closed back up, not bad for a quick 45mins,

Bryan

Archived