Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Supernova in M82

Helen

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grabbed a quick 300 second sub tonight

This photo confirms my sighting. I could see the 3 feint stars pointing to the core of M82 and the SN almost in line with them. Fairly easy in an 8" SCT, very rewarding evening.

well the two digit keys are next to each other, so it's a simple enough typo error to make - (well that's my story and I'm sticking to it until I can get the mods to edit the post with the corrected image :) )

I am glad the images match my sketch! and before anyone asks, no I am not a professional artist :grin:

attachicon.gifDSCF0574.JPG

This is exactly what I got with averted vision in the TAL100RS. a 'V' of stars with 3 in one side. Obviously my view in the diagonal should be flipped north / south. Best view I had was in a barlowed (x2) Gen II TAL 25mm Plossl. tried other combinations using BCO's but not as good as the Gen II. Tracked for over around 90 minutes manually on the TAL wooden GEM...bit of a nightmare, but wanted to make sure i could recite my view and confirm I had actually got it!

I love this hobby....

Yay!  An easy find tonight, even through the cloudy patches - clearly visible.  Made so much noise in the back garden, the children woke up and came for a look too  :grin:   It will be good to keep an eye on this one (clouds permitting) to see if it does brighten.

Ive just got in late and put my 200p out to have a look. Didnt look as bright as id expected as only just visible with averted vision but light polluted skies. 17mm nagler just about showed it but easily mistaken for the brightish star just to the side of the galaxy.

too tired to get the 16inch out , but would ideally have been able to put in a widefield eyepiece, maybe 28mm, to get some background stars in view for comparison to assess magnitude.

what mag do you think its at ? and is it dimming already ?

Cheers

I am glad the images match my sketch! and before anyone asks, no I am not a professional artist :grin:

attachicon.gifDSCF0574.JPG

Please dont do yourself down dear fellow! Even Michael Angelo started somewhere ;-)

Astronomymonkey. The star 3rd from left is 11.35 mgnitude and last night I got a very similar view using adverrted vision so thats my best test and so around 11 - 11.5

Please dont do yourself down dear fellow! Even Michael Angelo started somewhere ;-)

Astronomymonkey. The star 3rd from left is 11.35 mgnitude and last night I got a very similar view using adverrted vision so thats my best test and so around 11 - 11.5

I would agree with that, certainly 11 or below

Stu

I got 11.25-11.5 last night. There are some links to light curves/magnitude charts in this thread:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/206148-m82-supernovae-light-curve/

It seems to still be steadily increasing in brightness at the moment...

Dave.

I'm sure that's about right, was hard to estimate accurately for me as it was only visible with averted vision.

Stu

I'm sure that's about right, was hard to estimate accurately for me as it was only visible with averted vision.

Stu

Yes it is very difficult. Even though I could (just) see it directly, the brightness changes when you look at another star, and the star dims when you look directly at it! I just tried switching quickly between stars and SN to try and compare it. I only looked at the three stars in a line pointing to the SN, and then went inside to look at the chart - so both those points will introduce further error.

It still looks to be increasing in brightness though - hopefully it will reach Mag 8 so it will be visible in Binos...

Dave.

Archived