Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Supernova in M82

Helen

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit confused here folks, university college london are being credited as the first to observe/ discover the supernova at 19.20 GMT on January 21st.

Yet there is a time stamped pic of said supernova within this thread dated January 18

Also I was watching a virtual star party on Google plus on the evening of January 19, they had 6 telescopes on live feed, one of the feeds was of M82 and low and behold you can clearly see the supernova "live". Although folks at the virtual star party were unaware that they were witnessing a supernova complete with a few bright flashes occurring within the galaxy. My first thoughts when seeing the flashes live on the 19th was " wow something's just gone freakin bang in that there galaxy". The actuall flashes could may well have been a technical issue, but nonetheless many observed the supernova days before UCL did.

So how comes UCL are being credited with the discovery days after many astronomers had already observed and recognised the birth of said supernova?

I'm really excited by this but I'm doubting I'll be able to see it from where I am in London.

Has anyone succeeded in seeing this from less than perfect skies? (I'd be trying with my 127 Mak)

If not then an impromptu trip to 'see the parents' back in my (significantly less light polluted) hometown may be order...

I'm going to give it a go tonight with a 106mm refractor from near Heathrow so will let you know how I get on. I reckon it should be possible.

Stu

Should be a week or two I think, supposed to brighten to mag 8 ish so you should get a chance

Stu

Supposedly on a few things I read earlier today that it was supposedly viewable with a pair of bins. I have been taking mine to work with me lately as that is the only time I seem to be able to view anything. I tried for about 30 mins trying to find it but I don't think I did. I might try later tonight yet with the SLT as the skies are supposed to clear a little around 3am. (It's 115 now)

Supposedly on a few things I read earlier today that it was supposedly viewable with a pair of bins. I have been taking mine to work with me lately as that is the only time I seem to be able to view anything. I tried for about 30 mins trying to find it but I don't think I did. I might try later tonight yet with the SLT as the skies are supposed to clear a little around 3am. (It's 115 now)

It's only mag 11 at the moment, you won't get it in normal binos yet. I can get down to about mag 9.5 with my 15x50's on a good night here. You should get it in a scope, or binos once it has brightened, not sure what the light curve is likely to be but it has been predicted to reach mag 8 which is easy binocular territory.

Stu

So how comes UCL are being credited with the discovery days after many astronomers had already observed and recognised the birth of said supernova?

They discovered it. I didn't. I only went back to the images I took on the 18th after hearing about it. It's all in the game I guess.

K. Itagaki, Yamagata, Japan found the nova on the images he/she took January 15. http://www.k-itagaki.jp/psn-m82.jpg

There must be a lot more pictures taken before the 22nd.

Just a quick question, please ignore my stupidity if the question is ridiculous but did the SN originate from M82 or from a star in the milky way that was too dim to be indentified previously?

No such thing as a stupid question. Will be in M82, would be much brighter if one went off in a good position in our galaxy ie not hidden by dust etc.

Stu

I have just had a chat with Oli Usher, the media contact @ UCL Faculty of Mathematical and Physical Science about their claims to be the first to "spot" the supernova. You can read their announcement here http://www.ucl.ac.uk/maps-faculty/maps-news-publication/maps1405

After making Oli aware that many astronomers had "spotted" and started observations on the SN some days before UCL's claims, made him less than impressed lol.

I must admit I think he broke the record on how many stutters and flusters one can fit into a sentence, but I'm sure he stated "I'll call back soon"

Looking forward to his reply

There'll always be someone who wants to be 'first', but when it comes down to it, it's an event for all of us. I'm just happy to have got a good image (and will do other images as the SN progresses hopefully) i can show the kids, or ponder in my frail dotage when i'm too clapped out to carry a scope out into the night.

Just in from trying my luck at M82 and I must say that I couldn't find it. Seeing conditions were not that great but I did manage to catch Mars and Saturn for the first time! Not a total wasted evening!!

Could you not find the galaxy or not see the Supernova?

There are some star hopping tips in this thread, and this image off the web may help too.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/200829-M81-and-M82

e5ana3u8.jpg

Stu

as it seems our milky way galaxy is overdue a S.N , and with this news of one being spotted in m82 ,its got me wondering .

can /will we see a S.N in our own galaxy no matter where it happens. im probably showing a complete lack of knowledge now ,but could one on the other side of the milky way  be obscured by dark matter ,or our line of sight being obstructed by the central core .

please by gentle if its a ridiculous query.   :grin:

No, not ridiculous, in fact the two most recent supernovae in the Milky Way were not visually observed, namely Cassiopeia A around 1680 and another object which should have appeared around 1870. Both radio-emitting remnants have since been discovered but the visual light was presumably blocked by vast clouds of dust at the time.

Found it last night :p , first time ever seen a SN, seen more Transits of Venus!  It was very faint in my 8 inch scope, let hopes it gets brighter over the next few days (if skies are clear of course!) so we can see it better?

Archived