SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Supernova in M82

Helen

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible to see this with a 5" reflector? Also for how long will it be visible? A few days? A week? This is the first SN that has happened since getting my scope and it is very exciting!

May be worthwhile enough to get first light on the dob!

I'm confidant i saw it tonight with 4" so yes.  Look at this photo - for me it is reversed. And that bright star just below the galaxy is obvious and the supernova is quite a bit fainter - like a dim speck.  andrew

post-9273-0-74005300-1390421524.jpg

As soon as the clouds clear within my (somewhat limited timeframe)  I'm all over this like a rash.

I've not long had my scope and this is really , really exciting for me.

A chance to see a supernova......WOOHOO!

Thanks for the heads up :)

Captured this one on the 18th & therefore before the actual discovery! I was testing new software and wasn't paying attention on the object. For this image I combined 5x600 L frames with 1x 1800 5nm. Halpha.

PSN_J09554214_6940260_astropage.jpg

wow, you've got to be kidding us!!  first of all, an amazing picture, second, your avatar picture suits you well, omg you would have been famous.

Well done my fellow Nederlander.

After the snow, we have clear skies right now. I am not sure if I will see it but it sure will be interesting looking for it. It would be my first supernova :). How is it supposed to be? like a smudge?

I read this on slate.com in case someone is interested:

And that means we need observations! If you are an amateur astronomer, get images! And if you observed M82 recently, you may have “pre-discovery” images of it, taken before it was officially discovered. Those are critical for understanding the behavior of the supernova. If you do, report it to the CBAT (but make sure you read the instructions first; they don’t want images, just reports of magnitudes and so on).

here is the link if you want to send a report

http://www.cbat.eps.harvard.edu/unconf/tocp.html

Just had a peek after getting back from our pub Quiz night. Very easy to spot this one with my ED120 refractor. This is the brightest SN I've yet seen - I'd say around mag 11.00 comparing it with a nearby mag 11.10 star. My 7th SN  :smiley:

I'm really excited by this but I'm doubting I'll be able to see it from where I am in London.

Has anyone succeeded in seeing this from less than perfect skies? (I'd be trying with my 127 Mak)

If not then an impromptu trip to 'see the parents' back in my (significantly less light polluted) hometown may be order...

Just picked it up too  :grin: its clear even on a 4 sec sub!

Hopefully it'll stay clear for long enough to do it properly.  I've got some shots from a few weeks back to do the comparison too.

And the timing couldn't be better as we've got some friends coming for the weekend and Adam who is 7 is really into astronomy, so a good things for him to see and take a photo of to take to school on Monday (weather permitting on Saturday!!!)

Helen

Archived