SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Supernova in M82

Helen

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be a nice one to get.  I already have a 'before' of M81/M82 from last year, and I managed to get a before and after of the M65 SN last year too.  Just need the rain to clear off for a bit.

I wonder is this visible now. I had an unexpected session last night and when I was observing this galaxy, I thought it looked different to normal. It might be my mind playing tricks on me but I thought to myself, 'Mmm dont remember this many stars around this galaxy before' When I saw this post it immediately sprung to mind what went through my head last night while observing.

Of course, if it isn't visible, please ignore this post completely and pretend I didn't post it.....

Barry

I wonder is this visible now. I had an unexpected session last night and when I was observing this galaxy, I thought it looked different to normal. It might be my mind playing tricks on me but I thought to myself, 'Mmm dont remember this many stars around this galaxy before' When I saw this post it immediately sprung to mind what went through my head last night while observing.

Of course, if it isn't visible, please ignore this post completely and pretend I didn't post it.....

Barry

just over mag 11 so the page says... should be easy

Thanks Helen, will be watching out for this as soon as the weather clears and also have some recent DSLR data on M82 from late November to compare.    Would like to get some more data on M81/M82 over the new moon with the DSLR, but might also have a try with LX on the QHY5L-IIM for a closer view - as this worked quite well on SN2013ej

Forecast clear here for tonight, so I'll have a look at this with the RC and probably shoot a few frames of LRGB. I can add these to previous data as the only difference will be the SN itself.

as it seems our milky way galaxy is overdue a S.N , and with this news of one being spotted in m82 ,its got me wondering .

can /will we see a S.N in our own galaxy no matter where it happens. im probably showing a complete lack of knowledge now ,but could one on the other side of the milky way  be obscured by dark matter ,or our line of sight being obstructed by the central core .

please by gentle if its a ridiculous query.   :grin:

Just back 7.15  from a possible view of m82 supernova.  This is in  a 4" refractor so would be good to here some confirmation. Galaxy at about  10 oclock 4 angle - bright star just under top tip of galaxy- the 10 oclock - and just a bit to the inside a faint star within the top edge of the smudge - SN ? Sorry for non tech details - slight glimpse hint at 54 but definite at x89.   Conditions are not bad but ursa major not best placed.

andrew

Quite possible in a 4" under good skies I reckon and it sounds in the right place. Best thing is to draw what you saw and then compare it with the photos which will be pouring out later.

I managed to see a mag 12.5 one last year with my ED120 and I'll be having a look for this new one in M82 later tonight if the skies co-operate.

Quite possible in a 4" under good skies I reckon and it sounds in the right place. Best thing is to draw what you saw and then compare it with the photos which will be pouring out later.

I managed to see a mag 12.5 one last year with my ED120 and I'll be having a look for this new one in M82 later tonight if the skies co-operate.

Thanks John - just saw a photo posted by rory and it appears about right.  It could be possibly  a bit brighter already ?  

andrew

Is it possible to see this with a 5" reflector? Also for how long will it be visible? A few days? A week? This is the first SN that has happened since getting my scope and it is very exciting!

May be worthwhile enough to get first light on the dob!

Archived