SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another hello from Spain

Martin Meredith

Hello everyone!

I'm Martin, from the Potteries originally but now based in the frequently cloudy north of Spain. 

I'm in a sleepy village around 12 km from the nearest city with pretty good skies (prob Bortle 4 in the village itself and Bortle 3 just outside, with better skies within a few km), although I'm right next door to the church which is floodlit all night long.

I've been interested in astronomy on and off for many years. I'm mainly a dob and binocular-based visual observer (big fan of M46 for some reason) but with plans to get into electronically-assisted observing at some point in the future. I'm a computer scientist by training, working in signal processing, so I'm naturally somewhat drawn to the image processing side of things, though mainly in theory at the moment. I'm following the live stacking threads with a lot of interest…

I've learned a huge amount so far from SGL, which is not just a great resource but seems a very friendly forum too, so I'm looking forward to getting more involved. And do I hear of plans afoot for a Spanish get-together? 

All the best

Martin

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya Martin and welcome to SGL - Good to have another on board, we'll soon be calling the forum Spainish-Gazers Lounge :grin:

I'm considerably south to you - Have you gone onto the map and put your 'pin' in?

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Many thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Yes, Swag, my pin is in the map near to Vitoria-Gasteiz. I get skyglow from there, but also from Bilbao which is 60 km away and has a largish mountain range in-between. 

BTW Can you pick up Omega Centauri from your location? I sometimes travel down to the Cadiz area and managed to observe it once, just about, thru the murk. Looking forward to trying again this spring...

Martin

Archived