SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

"Mastermind" 3.5hr GRS animation, 19th Jan

JamesF

That's right... "I've started, so I'll finish (even if it kills me)" :)

I had 80 capture runs from last night covering just under three and a half hours from 8:45pm.  Sadly the seeing went pear-shaped just after the GRS emerged and processing the remainder has left me with very little of value from that point on.  Still, I thought I'd still them all together as an animation just to show (in poor detail) almost the entire GRS transit.  If the seeing had held I think it might have been quite impressive.  The things that could have been, eh?

jupiter-anim1.gif

James

Excellent animation James despite the all too familiar seeing woes! Whenever I try to image the GRS the seeing always seems to go pear shaped as well! Tonight was no exception! Great work :smiley:

Best regards,

Ralph

Regardless of the seeing fluctuations that is still a meritous effort James..! :icon_salut:  :icon_salut:

...I wasn't sure if the coloured outline was something you put in to add some sort of "pizzaz" to the animation of if it was in some ways a by-product of not cropping the individual frames of the animation. (which you often see in folks's animations)

Whatever, "get rid of it!" is my advice...it's a bl**3! distraction imho..! :laugh2:

I agree :)  I meant to remove it, but forgot when I combined the images.  I'm not at all sure where it comes from.  It may be down to debayering cropped image frames or something.  I shall work it out next time.

James

That is great. As someone who recently experimented with the animation you have my utter respect for the amount of time and effort you've had to put i to this!

I only did 60 videos over 2 hours for mine, and processed each one manually; i hear some software can batch process!

How often did you re-focus? I tried to every 20 minutes but found it really hard.

Smashing animation of the transit.

Jd

How often did you re-focus? I tried to every 20 minutes but found it really hard.

About the same, but by the end it really didn't matter to be honest.  I'd completely lost the seeing by then.

James

Credit to your dedication James! What are you using to generate the GIF? I've used GIMP and another GIF animator but always get compression artifacts.

I used ImageMagick on Linux.  I think it's been ported to Windows too if you need it there though.

James

Excellent animation James and considerable effort even with a colour camera.   A great shame that the seeing deteriorates, though that's quite representative example of current climatic conditions.      What are the odds on getting 10hrs of good seeing over one night in UK?  Probably vanishingly small and I'd be quite happy to get better 15-20 minute interludes every now and again!

Not sure I would want to do this with a whole nights LRGB data, but have been recently thinking of adding the QHY5L-IIC in to the mix when the funds are available - some very nice images have been posted up recently from this and may just be that these are better to use when we are getting very brief periods of good seeing.   There's also the option of switching cams for some mono luminance as Stuart has been doing to great effect.   Hmm, wonder if you could run two copies of FC concurrently with one set for each camera - one laptop over two USB controllers or you could perhaps suspend the preview while recording on the other...   Though so far this season most of my lum data has been abandoned as I've had better results from straight RGB data.

Archived