Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter, Sirius, Orion - Great second night!

Hi all,

Just got in from my second ever evening of gazing. I managed to see Jupiter again very clearly although it took me a while to find it at first. Had a look at Orion, Sirius and some star clusters of which the names I am unaware of. I got another ok shot of Jupiter and also tried getting a photo of Sirius, now I'm not sure if the photo of Sirius is accurate or if my scope was way out of focus when I took the picture, but I trust someone reading will tell me and guide me :)Posted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sirius should appear as a very bright point of light, rather than a disk. If it shows a disk its a bit out of focus. Hard to tell from your photo to be honest what you have caught there but Sirius is the brightest star in the sky so it's hard to miss down there below and to the east of Orion.

Posted ImagePosted Image

These are some other shots of Sirius. When I was taking the photo I saw a green line shoot across the screen, I gasped in amazement thinking I had seen some sort of comet or the like, only to realise it was a plane haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm seeing my first transit of Jupiter right now (Io).  It's really cool because last time I looked the moon was just off the edge so you could see it poking out and the shadow was still on Jupiter.  There's supposed to be a Great Red Spot Transit later that I'm hoping to see.  I haven't had a chance to see it yet.  Hopefully I'm able to make it out with my telescope.

Archived