TEC 140 ???

Anyone know where I can buy one of these please? Tekeskop-Service I see for one .......   I may have some disposable £££ incoming from my late wife's legacy, and know she'd want me to spend it on something I love and will last me a lifetime.  I want it to complement the FSQ85 to go a deeper at F7 on individual galaxies.  Will it work on a NEQ6 or is a MESU also required?

Thanks, Steve

I think the TEC 140 is way too large for an NEQ6. You will need a beefier mount (Mesu, 10Micron, ASA). I would buy either from Baader Planetarium or from the U.S., like Optcorp. There is a wait list...

/per

Well, I am thinking of building an observatory too so the NEQ6 can become my "mobile" mount.  So may well need something for the permanent setup, aka Mesu ;)

Well if you dont have a problem upgrading your mount then thats something different :grin:

I know there are some major problems that are effecting some people but the EQ8 would handle the TEC140. MUCH cheaper than any other mount out there meant to handle those kind of scopes. There are plenty of people reporting no problems with there EQ8 though too. But its still early in its release. Its on my short list along side a used AP900 to support my future C11 EdgeHD. I'm just waiting for another 6 months or so and see how the reviews fair then. Plus its not released in the USA yet and I would have to drive up to Canada to purchase it.

What would your budget be for a mount upgrade? That will determine a lot.

I wouldn't say a Mesu is required but I think it might be pushing the limits of a NEQ6 for imaging long exposures.

I think the TEC 140 is way too large for an NEQ6. You will need a beefier mount (Mesu, 10Micron, ASA). I would buy either from Baader Planetarium or from the U.S., like Optcorp. There is a wait list...

/per

Not so. A well run NEQ6 has no trouble with this scope but a better mount is always nice. I've done lots of long exposures with a TEC140 on an NEQ6. Franck M106 did an Owl with our TEC140 and NEQ6 on his last visit and got a full set of clean subs, I think.  Yes, a better mount would be better but the NEQ6 has no trouble with the scope's length/weight. My Tak EM200 Temma Jnr is less confident and the iOptron IEQ45 hasn't a chance, but the NEQ6 is good. WIth a Mesu, which I've also used with our TEC, you'd be in heaven.

As for buying a TEC, email them. They'll advise. There are human beings at the other end.

Olly

Not so. A well run NEQ6 has no trouble with this scope but a better mount is always nice. I've done lots of long exposures with a TEC140 on an NEQ6. Franck M106 did an Owl with our TEC140 and NEQ6 on his last visit and got a full set of clean subs, I think.  Yes, a better mount would be better but the NEQ6 has no trouble with the scope's length/weight. My Tak EM200 Temma Jnr is less confident and the iOptron IEQ45 hasn't a chance, but the NEQ6 is good. WIth a Mesu, which I've also used with our TEC, you'd be in heaven.

As for buying a TEC, email them. They'll advise. There are human beings at the other end.

Olly

I knew just by weight the NEQ6 could handle it but I would've thought the length would be what posed some problems. But glad someone came along with actually experience with the combo to say otherwise.

I knew just by weight the NEQ6 could handle it but I would've thought the length would be what posed some problems. But glad someone came along with actually experience with the combo to say otherwise.

This was a perfectly good line of reasoning. The iOptron hasn't a hope in hell of controlling the long moment of the TEC but the EQ6 does so with ease. It really is quite a mount, especially for the price.

Olly

I run a WO FLT132 quite happily on an (AZ) EQ-6.

Its a similar size and weight.

Make sure you get a good dovetail / clamp. Upgrade if necessary.

You may have to wait a bit for the TEC. Don't think they are readily available.

It would be a scope for life though : i couldn't afford one at the time but i'm very happy with my WO

Good luck.   :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived